Channan anew

Posted by: Victor Smith

Channan anew - 07/10/06 07:25 PM

I don't know if anyone else noticed but the Heian/Pinan to Channan thread has been getting complex and perhaps starting again will make it clearer.

First everyone, FightingArts.com is an open discussion forum. The topic may be Karate, but any FA.com member may join in. So you have dedicated karate-ka of all stripes, people who practice other arts and want to see what karate is all about, people who don't believe in tradtional karate and want to wet their claws or logic against it's existence and practices, and others of all stripes.

When a discussion gets interesting everyone joins in and it becomes difficult to always keep separated who anyone is.

For myself as a martial artist who practices Isshinryu and a number of other arts I have absolutely no interest in Channan, Pinans or Heians. My art doesn't use them, my art works and has a lifetime of infinite study in its own right, I have no interest in tacking anything else on. I am fully engaged in ongoing studies and efforts on my own arts.

For myself as a martial researcher, I have an avid interest in everything. I've translated books in French into English on the Bubishi, Mabuni's early writings on Sanchin, Seiunchin and Seipai, and other works. I've written a few articles about various aspects of different arts. Along the way I've made many friends around the world who've shared tons of information with me, most in confidence which I don't break, ever. But I still try to understand the depth and bredth of the arts. Not for my students, only for myself.

As a reseacher the existence or non-existence of Channan kata holds interest, but only in its historical context. One of my friends Joe Swift living in Tokyo, knoweldgeable in Japanese as a translator, and actually teaching karate in Japan himself, has written about his Channan study, and as I understand it hasn't found anyone practicing theform along his way. That means just that he hasn't seen it in his study and he does travel to Okinawa too.

Of course with the disporia of Okinawan's in the depression across the world, and the intense bombing of Okinawa in WWII, resulting in tremendous loss to Okinawan karate (the least of the losses), it may well be if Channan survives on the Island it remains very private. That doesn't preclude it remaining in other Okinawan communites around the world. I have actually read Okinawan Hogan really only is alive overseas anymore and in Okinawa almost all is in the Japanese language too.

As we know there are various versions of Channan showing up. From Dr. Sheissman's (myspelling may be off) out of Shotokan, to Mr. Mertz's version, to the one Mr. Wax is describing. When you can see a version you can at least make a somewhat informed guess to it's potential history.
When you can't see it, it becomes more problematical.

Let me digress. Once upon a time, about 30 years ago I was lied to my face by someone of Mr. Wax's generation as to the intenst authenicity of their art from Japan. They were a strong force in the tournament circuit. Their people were fast and strong with their technique. And at that time there was no information about many arts available. And they had a strong organization. As martial artists they weren't bad.

But time passes and 15 years later I learn their house was built on lies. They were real but absolutely none of their 'history' was. And you know that does make a difference. It doesn't detract from what they can do, it does however make you question everything they said, do say or will say forever.

On the internet we cannot prove anyting, we can only discuss. Making strong claims (by ANYONE) gets no where.

If we look at the Okinawan video record we see several trends. No.1 is most of the time the demonstrations are walk throughs for many reasons, as much as not to make a mistake in public, as well as to hide the full transmission. There are even senior instructors how consciously changed their demonstrations so others would not know the correct way.

All of which is fine, they're just demonstrating, not passing a truth test.

On the other hand there are those who kick butt when they demonstrate. Such as the young Hiagonna Morio, or http://youtube.com/watch?v=mGIHXVeL24o&mode=related&search=uechi%20ryu

They're not trying to hide anything because they know they can kick butt, and want you to see everything they have. Of course they don't show you the myriad of steps it takes to get there, and in effect are showing you little.

But the Okinawan's go to both extremes, and there are plenty who follow the older tradition and don't share anything. But of course they don't talk about what they're not showing either.

At the very best they show a shape you can reflect on. Only the misinformed will try and learn from that shape.

There is no right tradtion, they're all traditional.

Mr. Wax, I've actually had Mr. Heart call me. I liked our discussion and feel he has always been truthfull and constistent describing his practices. But rationally that doesn't mean I can understand their truth because I can't see them.

Nor can I travel to do so, because teaching for free for decades doesn't pay for travel bills, if I had such inclination.

What that leaves us with is discussion.

We all want to understand the past, even those who don't believe in Karate still want to undestand why and how things happened.

I've practiced many arts, some for a while and some for an instant. I don't know much, but I do know before I can honestly believe there is a link between the Okinawan arts, without outstanding documentation which doesn't exist, I first want to see a Chinese practionier performing a form that even remotely looks like something that is done on Okinawa. Then I'd say there was a credible source to consider.

In the case of other research I'd honestly like to see the same. For example, with absolutely no disrespect to your practice, I'd foremost want to see an Okinawan practicine Channan kata. But baring that seeing even the grainiest, poorest shape of the form by someone else presents a link to consider, that no discussion can resolve.

Yet I agree with you. You have every reason not to share that shape. The path of study is very long and a glimpse of a kata doesn't describe anything that goes into crafting that version.

Earlier today I posted a link to OkinawaBBTV showing the Kasiba Juku Pinan 1,2 and 3. There they took the time to share a slice of their practice. Not the final goal, but a part of their way towards that goal.

It may or may not make much sense to any of us, but they did take the time to share a piece of their private practice (and they are a small and on the whole private group). I don't know why they did so, but the fact they choose to make it available to view does say something.

I don't know much. My instructors are or were all better than I will ever be, but I do my best to try and make my students better than them.

Lets try and discuss with respect, and perhaps even learn.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Channan anew - 07/10/06 10:19 PM

I am mainly a goju-ka, so I don't use the Pinan series in my training.

Was taught the series however--the heian version anyway.

But as a researcher I would be VERY interested in an extent Channan kata.

Couple of problems though.

One of the few historical refrences we have for the Channan rather stongly suggests that the Pinan were instantly recognizable by a student that learned the Channan.

Add to this that the Channan were largely replaced by the Pinan by Okinwans that were in postion to have learned the Channan themselves.

In brief, I strongly suspect that the Channan were basically the "same" as the Pinans.

In effect that the Channans and Pinans are more or less simple variations on a theme.

Much as the multiple versions of Bassai or Seisan.

Love to see the kata--but then again I also love looking at the "other" versions of Seisan floating about.

Just an opinion of course.
Posted by: senseiaverywax

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 12:07 AM

COWARDS COWARDS COWARDS>>>>>>>>
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 12:15 AM

I can't add anything. I look at it the same way.

but for giggles, lets get technical on this subject for a change...that ought to keep the fakes out.

sometimes for fun, I like to look at the pinan kata with particular methods of Goju I'm currently learning in mind. I don't spend time on it...it's just for fun as a change of pace.

* opening to pinan shodan -> see sepai (about 3/4 of the way thru).

* all of the 'shuto' in pinans ->when changed to circular you have a technique found in seisan. which, in my biased opinion has alot more versitile follow up options than the linear and often highly stylized shuto.

* beginning of pinan sandan ->seiunchin after first turn.

etc.... having learned the movements to pinan kata last year and combined with Goju application class this year from current instruction, it's interesting how non-goju kata can be anaylized the same way.

but is it any surprize to be able to pick apart another okinawan style's kata with your style in mind and come up with something that either already exists or very similar in principal? or even a completely dissimilar art like a non-kata system and see similarities or overlap? it's cool to see something familiar from T'ai Chi or a form in Baguazhang having overlap.

the order of things found in kata or I suppose we could call it the choreography is based on nothing more arbitrary than space conservation and perhaps efficiency of practice.

so if things overlap, particularly pinan with channan or the various Hakusuru kata...who cares that someone has a differing choreography? the question is, can they use it to train and can they use it to teach?

when we are young, it's easy to get trapped into thinking something with an old name must be more authentic. not the case. completely fabricated kata are made up from bits and pieces of classical kata and composed into a new kata which the creator then gives an old name to it in order to give it the 'authentic' touch.

same goes for style names. we had a fellow on here who was the creator of a 'unique' system and when asked why he decided to create a system instead of joining an established one the reply was something to the effect that advancement in the Japan system are political and somewhat prejudice to foreigners....why can't westeners start their own styles and grading councils?

interesting point...now tell me why you chose a Japanese sounding name for your new 'Ryu' and have the same kata names and curriculum as a Japanese style. lol

The reason is because it sells. they want the benefit of selling the product from it's name. superficial wide-eyed students don't care and can't verify legitimate kata, they want to collect 'em all - gimme yours and I'll give ya mine...

but psssst Victor, lets not tell anyone the true original Seisan that we've uncovered from the most unlikely of places....from the knights Templar.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 09:44 AM

The seisan you do is this Matsumura's wife's kata. The one where you fight with your baby on your back!

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:02 AM

Ed,

I was on Okinawa in the 1940's not the 50's I no you can read but comprehention seems to be a lttle hazy for you.

I know you guys are probably can't affrod to come and train with me. (thats O.K.) And contrary to what you think I am not rubbing it in your face that I know the Channans and you don't heck you know Itosu's Pinan's and I don't. So I got a Solution for you lets put all this B.S. effort into some Reasearch you guys seem more school smart than I do so let try to find you the answers your looking for! Unless you are a bunch of panty waisted Mama's Boys!

We Need to compile a list of everyone that saw or supposedly did Channan kata's and what they said and go from there. Here is my 2 C's: of the folks I know of!
Yui Fei
Li ning Jan
Peichin Takahara
Kusanku
Tode Sakugawa
Sokon Bushi Matsumura
Choyu Motobu
Choki Motobu
Ankoh Itosu
Ankoh Azato
Kosoku Matsumora
Chojun Miyagi

Now lets keep going...

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:06 AM

Now the only inprtant stuff is whatever they said regarding Channan Kata's only so we don't get off on a wild tangent or another subject.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:11 AM

Avery

If we don't know what it looked like how can we compare it?

The are about what 12-18 versions of bassai? and almost as many versions of seisen.

No way to tell if Motubu the younger's channan was anthing like Motobu the elders version--heck their actual "karate" is very different--why would their kata be the same?

Itosu phased out the Channan--or re-designed them and his good buddy Azato seems not to have taught them to anyone. And we have no clue what his loooked like.

Yui Fei was a chinese genral that pre-dates the the other folks by a considerable margin---the lord alone knows his kata "looked like" but given the wide diffrences between Okinawan karate and the Chiense arts that spawned it--chances are pretty good that they looked nothing alike.

Heck you can't find Okinawan kata that ARE practiced currently that match perfectly with Chinese arts--much less a extinct kata.

This is a little more fun---but still pretty jacked up "logic."

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:17 AM

Research is not your Opion or your guess! I asked for written record not your oppion. How do you know if you have never seen either one. Now you are speculating.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:19 AM

We are not talking about Bassai or Seisan keep to the subject and task!

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:25 AM

This Channan is supposed to be from Choki Motobu linage.

It should be the one Motobu is quoted referring in Karate no Kenkyu, 1934:

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:29 AM

By complete coincidence I just saw a discussion regarding Channan on another forum today. The gist of the conversation was that it may well be that Motobu's son's organisation do have a kata called Channan but that it may well be a modern kata with an old name. I think the information may have come from Joe Swift who lives in Japan. I don't know if you've ever come across Joe but I'm sure you'll find an email address for him if you search the web. He may be able to provide some more info.

Its a private forum for members of Rick Clark's Ao Denkou Kai organisation.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:38 AM

The Kata Of Motobu

Although it is often alleged that Motobu knew only the katas Naihanchi Shodan and possibly Passai, in light of recent developments this appears to be a complete misinterpretation of Motobu's knowledge and method of teaching. It was quite a common practice in the old days to begin a student training with Naihanchi kata and only when he mastered it to a degree considered sufficient was a new form taught. This seems to be corroborated through the words of Konishi Yasuhiro (as told by Yamazaki Kiyoshi in an article on Konishi) (4):
"Konishi Sensei considered Motobu to be a martial genius and made every effort to train with him. Motobu Sensei's favorite Kata was the Naifanchin kata (another pronunciation of Niahanchi). As a teacher he knew many Kata, but would only teach them once the student had mastered Naifanchin."

Given Motobu's vast knowledge of Naihanchi, the applications of which were forged through actual altercations, it likely took a significant period of time to progress to another kata with him. Thus many of the modern stories which recount Motobu as knowing or having shown only the kata Naihanchi are told by those having trained for less than a year with him!

Further proof of Motobu's knowledge of other Kata comes inadvertently from Motobu himself. Motobu is quoted by Nakasone Genwa as describing a visit to Itosu Sensei (Itosu was perhaps the most famous karate teacher of his time) as follows:

"I visited him one day near the school, where we sat talking about the martial arts and current affairs. While I was there two to three students dropped by and sat talking with us. Itosu Sensei turned to the students and said 'Show us a kata!' The Kata they performed was very familiar to the Channan Kata that I knew but there were also some differences. Upon asking the students what the kata was, he replied, 'It is Pinan no Kata!'. The students left shortly after that, upon which I turned to Itosu Sensei and said 'I learned a Kata called Channan, but the Kata that those students just performed now was different, What is going on?" Itosu Sensei replied, "Yes, The kata is slightly different but the kata that you just saw is the kata that I have decided upon." (Nakasone 1934)

While it has been speculated that Motobu never learned the Pinan kata (sometimes known as Heian), it appears now that this information may be correct. Motobu learned from Itosu before Itosu had fully developed the Pinans, a time when the katas were still practiced in their prototype form.

We further know that Choki Motobu passed on a significant array of kata which are part of the curriculum as maintained by his son Chosei. They include Naihanchi Shodan and Nidan, Channan (the predecessor of the pinan kata which within the Motobu system are called Shiraguma no Kata), Passai, Wanshu, Wankan, Chinto, Kusanku, Chinti and others. This demonstrates that Motobu was far more knowledgeable in terms of the kata than many have given him credit for.

Move To Japan

In 1923 (Iwai 1994; other sources say 1921), perhaps in an effort to find greener pastures, Motobu moved with his family to the city of Osaka on mainland Japan. Not long afterwards he returned briefly to Okinawa for three months which he spent training with his brother Choyu. This was when a nineteen year old student of Choyu by the name of Seikichi Uehara first met Choki. Uehara recalled having Choki for a training partner: "Every time I punched Choki hit my arm before I could touch him. He hit it so hard he almost broke my arm" (Uehara 1992).

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:41 AM

in comparing these with written form set Channan that Sensei Hart will be sending me ...

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:45 AM

Good point, but I thought that Itosu Yatsune only created the Pinan forms (in 1901) and if memory serves me correct they were more based on the Jae Nam hyung, and only a little on Kong Sang Goon Hyung (Hancock, 2005). I am not a historian, so please, I am just curious.
Thanks!

The Heian kata are essentially the SAME as the older Okinawan Pinan (Pyong Ahn in Korean). The name is derived from the phrase Heiwa-Antei (Peace and Calmness). It is said that Grand Master Itosu has changed the order of the techniques in the Five Heians so that students first learn simplier movments (Heian 1&2) and then gadually proceed to more advanced techniques (Heian 3&4&5). Another idea/theory, is that grand master Itosu had derived these five katas from the much longer and complicated kata Kanku Dai (Kushanku

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:47 AM

Pyong Ahn hyung (aka Heian aka Pinan) were created by Master Idos (Itosu Yasutsune) sometime between 1897 and 1913 (although I personally believe the time frame was 1903 to 1910). The form was derivative of the southern Shaolin form Chiang Nan (aka Jae Nam aka Channan) with possible later inclusion of select movements from Kong Sang Koon (aka Kushankun aka Kwanku). Recently, the form Chiang Nan resurfaced as traced through a Chinese martial art teacher living in the Phillipine Islands. Certain of his students ultimate ended up in the U.S. and have propogated this version of the Chiang Nan form along side a form known in the Phillipines as Panawan Panalo. Others claim these forms are not the original Channan known in Okinawa. The jury is still out.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:50 AM

think it is more complicated than that.
First, different theories claim different Pinan to be a result of reworking Channan. You have the following theories:

a) Pinan 1 (TSD Pyung Ahn 2) was Channan dai and Pinan 2 was Channan sho. [this is usually claimed by Matsumura Seit folks]
b) Pinan 1 (TSD Pyung Ahn 2) and 3, 4 were once Channan.
c) Pinan 1 - 4 were once Channan.
d) Pinan 1 (TSD Pyung Ahn 2) + Pinan 3 were Channan dai and Pinan 4 + 5 were Channan sho. [Elmar S.]
etc.

Elmar's Channan 1 roughly maps up with Pinan 1 (TSD Pyung Ahn 2) + Pinan 3 (the beginning of Pinan 3 left out) and his Channan 2 roughly maps up with Pinan 4 and 5 (again with the beginning of Pinan 5 left out).

Now consider this: if you cross check Elmar's Channan with Kushanku (Itosu Kushanku!), Passai (both dai and sho), Chinto and possibly Jion and cancel out the techniques that maps (and therefore probaby came from these forms), you won't have too much stuff left for Channan.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:57 AM

Avery

What "written records" do you have that maps that out?

Did Itosu leave somethings behind in terms of "offical" records of exactly what how Channan was done?

Love to see it--please present it.

Please provide the source cites for your conclusions.

As you say "please don't speculate"

Gotcha!!!!!

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 10:58 AM

First off, not to be semantics, but if you can only choose one, and you choose none, then you have learned nothing and trained in nothing. Leaving you with nothing. Zen semantics aside, nothing is not always a good thing.

Secondly, if that's the case, then why did Funakoshi practice one form for nine years?

Nine years on one form!

If there is nothing to be gained from this, then the entire art we study is worthless and should be cast aside.

In all likelihood, we're just doing something wrong anyway...

So you're saying that you can't train without training in forms??

Hey, it may have worked for Funakoshi, but I could think of a lot more productuve things to train for 9 years than a single form....besides, are we talking about the same Funakoshi who singlehandedly did more to change the original purpose and meanings for forms practice than any other one single individual?
Part of our Guiding priciples in Ryukyu Kempo that were complied by Grandmaster Shigeru Nakamura states the following.

"In the past a single a kata was studied for 3 years. In the past a particular master studied a single kata for 10 years! "

This was not that uncommon in the past, if you think research it, the Okinawan Bushi or Warriors maybe learned one or two kata, and practiced (Mastered them) throughout their entire lives! Many of todays masters will tell you the same. This particular knowledge comes from Taika Seiyu Oyata (1998).
I think that a single kata can hold enough information and bunkai to be studied your wholelife, and still keep you learning new things form the forms. in this manner the practicioner opens his/her inner eyes and can see the true meaning behind the kata. It was not until the late 1800's that Masters started learning more and teaching more forms, such as GM Shigeru Nakamura who learned from several Masters Naihanchis from Chokki Motobu, Pinanas from Itosu, and on and on. Before this anly a 1- or2 forms were studied throughout the entire life of the bushi.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 11:00 AM

Avery

Now your getting sloppy.

Did Funakoshi even practice the Channan---please present the sources that Funakoshi even practiced them--by name.

As you say "please keep on task!!!!"

Gotcha again!

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 11:12 AM

When karate increased in popularity on mainland Japan, a move to modify it to a position similar to Kendo and Judo, was endorsed. This changed the kata in form and bunkai (application of technique). Competition and militaristic doctrines forced traditional Okinawan karate to change and conform to the mainland Japan philosophy of “martial arts.” The focus had changed from a sole form of self-defense and character building, to a blend of self-defense, art (karate-do), sport, and nationalistic spirit.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 11:22 AM

Avery

If you can't keep on topic--AS YOU YOURSELF REQUESTED you should just shut up.

This is a discussion forum.

Not a "lets just post reams of random rambling drivel" forum.

Please obey the agreed upon rules of conduct--or go away.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 11:26 AM

Kyan Chotoku learned Seisan kata from Sokon Matsumura, the master of the Shuri-te branch. This kata contains long distance techniques like rensoku tsuki geri, which are representative of the shuri-te style. It was assumed that Seisan was the first kata taught to him by the great master Matsumura, and due to the age differences, was learned by Master Kyan at a tender age. This kata still remains as the first major Sukunaihayashi lineage kata to be taught in Seibukan. Seisan is a powerful kata, where quick changes from shiko dachi to zenkutsu dachi come into its own as a source of power. This ancient form was a favorite of Master Zenryo Shimabukuro, and was performed by him in many exhibitions. Even at an advanced age, Master Zenryo Shimabukuro used this kata to demonstrate his excellent fitness

Among the Pechin, a local form of wrestling ("te" or "di") was combined with the teachings of the Chinese martial advisors ("to-te" or "toudi") to create "uchinadi", or karate as it came to be called later. The karate that emerged from Shuri, called Shuri-te, coalesced in the late 1700s and early 1800s. Early seminal figures include "Toudi" Sakugawa, who was said to have studied with the military attaché named Kusanku, who visited Okinawa in the 1750s. Sokon Matsumura of Shuri was said to have been a student of Sakugawa. Many credit Matsumura with the consolidation and rationalization of Shuri-te, and thus with the invention of Shorin Ryu (as Shuri-te came to be called in the 20th century).

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 11:31 AM

Avery

I have that book too!

But thanks for "reading" it to us.

This has nothing to do with any of the topics at hand, nor is this "new" information.

If your going to waste folks time/bandwidth---the least you could do make it interesting.

Your boring me again.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 11:34 AM

CXT,

It is rude to tell someone to shut up! This is reaserch from other places I have been to many forums on Channan Kata
I am giving you posts to me from other Individuals as part of research. I have said none of these things my self these are thing said by others to me! Please don't be angry CXT we are trying to get to the root of your Channan problems. to do that we must ask lots of questions and weigh the answers of what we find.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 11:45 AM

CXT,

Now I am talking to you!

Why were kata changed?

Why did the old Okinawans practice only one kata?

Why was the bunkia, Okuden, and oyo changed to Kata?

Why was Karate changed from meaning China Hand to empty hamd.

Why did Ankoh Itosu change and create new kata? What was wrong with the old kata?

Why was Karate changed before it went to Japam.

Why did Itosu, Asato, Miyagi, Funakoshi, Nagmine, Invent their own kata's

Why did Funakoshi change the Kata again!

Which kata are un-changed?

What were the benefits draw backs of these changes?

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 12:02 PM

CXT,

Why did Itosu Delete Channan from the system and add his version's Pinnan to the system. How do we know he was qualified to do that? Why did he change the kata's?

Here is a Question someone once asked me! I would like to know your answer?

If the Okinawan's were so skilled at Karate why did they not fight back.

While we were there they would not fight us, instead they ran and hid like rabbits. If Karate is so good Mr. Wax why did the Chinese invent Gun powder.

Mr. Wax you talk about how great Karate is and how it can be used to safe lives instead of make money, so explain this to me Mr.Wax then why did one of your so called Okinawan Masters of Karate (Chotoku Kyan) starve himself to death in a Cave! Insted of Fighting.

T. Willis
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 12:12 PM

Quote:

If Karate is so good Mr. Wax why did the Chinese invent Gun powder.

What?! That's a nonsequitor if I have ever read one. Ok, CXT is right! It's a bunch of kids using the same address and making goofy statements that go back and forth.

I guess someone's gotta close shop on these threads. It makee no sensee...

-B

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 12:12 PM

Why Did Choki Motobu get made at Ankoh Itosu and Gichien Funakoshi call them traitors and say the were teaching Fake Commercial Karate? Then he moved back to Okinawa from Japan and finally convinced his brother Choyo to teach him then die of stomach diese at the house of his mistress?

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 12:18 PM

So you can talk crap but can't answers the Questions can you! Do not run away give us answers! Come on Karate-ka answer the Question's or are you so weak your going to run from nine year old boys! Since you think I am a bunch of children. I can be anything you want to be Mr.butterfly but can you answer my Questions!

Avery Wax off - 07/11/06 12:22 PM

??? this thread has lost meaning and is most likely a hoax.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 12:23 PM

waxmaster,

Please,stop copying and pasting conversations from books and other forums,and just go away.

Be glad I am no longer moderator of this forum.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 12:32 PM

Mr. Wax,

I still don't think you get it. I am not in a position to argue the merits of kata or your karate training. I only know what I know, which probably isn't a lot. My training is established in Gendai Budo karate and is a derivative of Kyokushin with added elements of boxing and perhaps Aikido. So, historically it comes from that backwater, poor 2nd cousin's of Okinawa's twice removed karate... Shotokan. I don't pratice any Okinawan kata...or traditional Japanese kata, for that matter. Hell, I normally find kata as something not to do. But, like I said, I am curious and have always asked others to show me bunkai.

Up until now, I was a disinterested party and wanted to see how the argument progressed in good, social terms. You presented a statement and when called to task to prove what you have stated in a way that is deemed appropriate and reliable by scientific methods have resorted to asking questions that, I guess, when answered by you, should prove your point. On the other hand, you still have not provided any uncontested proof of what you have stated. And that's all I was getting at.

When it comes down to it, and you whittle away every thing in this thread, it basically is this: 1) You said "X"; but 2) You have not offered corroborating evidence to support "X."

-B

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 12:44 PM

The truth of the Channan Kata's is this, they do still exist and are taught in some circles. How ever most people who ask Questions about them do not really want to know them as in learn them by being taught by somone who know's them. they would however like for someone to write them down or Video tape them so they can compare the difference but are to lazy to do the work and learn the actual kata themselves.

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 12:47 PM

You have asked me to Leave twice now once by Sommers sensei now by you. Good Bye!

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 01:06 PM

Sayonara!
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Channan anew - 07/11/06 01:08 PM

Mr. Wax,

I’ve been busy this morning but find a few minutes free right now. I’d like to start with your initial questions about who had what.

I think the easiest answer to your source questions are best answered by Joe Swift’s article right here on FightingArts.com. The article is “Channan: The "Lost" Kata of Itosu?” By Joe Swift at http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=127

It is the most thoroughly documented discussion on Channan I’ve seen.

“Unfortunately, most of the written references to the Channan/Pinan phenomenon in the English language are basically re-hashes of the same uncorroborated oral testimony. This article will examine the primary literature written by direct students of Itosu, as well as more recent research in the Japanese language, in an effort to solve the "mystery" of Channan.”

I do think Joe sums up the only real answer for your question. The parties you ask about ar gone, and except for a few sentences written by Motobu or Mabuni (quote below), what is there to rely on. Oral history is always correct until there is any potential contradiction and then it becomes questionable.

BTW Mabuni Kenwa’s quote, which seems to refute that Channan is different from Pinan.

‘There is also reference to Pinan being called Channan in its early years in the 1938 publication Kobo Kenpo Karatedo Nyumon by Mabuni Kenwa and Nakasone Genwa. Mabuni and Nakasone write that those people who learned this kata as Channan still taught it under that name (Mabuni, et al, 1938).”

Outside of this documentation there remains oral history, and except for any groups truly using an older tradition, the remainder of Okinawa has left that behind.

A more reasonable question than yours would be which contemporary Okinawan instructors are looking for Channan?
BTW, Joe Swift is a friend and if you have any questions you’d like me to ask him from his studies I’d be happy to pass them along.

Re: Channan anew - 07/12/06 08:07 AM

O.K. I am Back but just briefly! After talking to one of you boys on the phone last night. I still do not know how you were able to get my phone # but O.K. maybe the way I explain things is Harsh. Here I will try again for some REASON I can Longer Find the Questions I asked that you folks Could not answer. So that must mean you do not know the Answers. so I will help you out.

Q.# 1 Why did Ankoh Itosu change the Channans to Pinnans?
A # 1. So he could teach them to the School Children!

Q # 2. Why did he Change the Bunkia Okuden and Oyo?
A # 2. He took out the Deadly Techniques so children would not cause mischeif or hurt themselves or others.

Q # 3.Why Was Karate Changed?
A # 3.To teach it to children and export it to Japan the Chinese parts (flow) were removed.

Q #4.Why was karate changed from Tang Hand (China Hand) to empty Hand. The Kanji was changed in order to export Karate to Japan from Okinawa so the Japanese would like it as they hated anything Chinese.

Q #5.Why do so many people look for old Kata Or the Channan's
A#5.They want to find the missing void in their Karate.

Q #6 Why do people look for teachers on Okinawa?
A # 6 They do not understand that many Masters left Okinawa taking their Karate with them in their Brains and what ever family members could go or that many Karate Masters were killed in the fighting so were their families, they do not understand that Okinawa was Sterilized and Sanatized during W.W.II and most people (Okinawan's) left only new (modern) or Itosu and Funakoshi based Karate was left. One reason is Japan Proper where Funkoshi exported his version of Itosu Karate to remained because the war was not fought on Japan Proper that was the purpose Okinawa to keep the Americans Off the Home Land.Okinawa became the Board on which the war took place.

Q # 7 Is your Karate different than ours?
A # 7 Yes My Karate is not Itosu Based or Funakoshi Based do to the rare Lineage that escaped Okinawa to Hawaii and America.(Let's hide it under their nose.)

Q # 8. Could there be other systems that left Okinawa?
A#8 Sure there can be! Hohan Sokken went to Argentina then back to Okinawa however at first he did not change his karate but he did before he started teaching the American's

Q # 9 Why are their so many styles of Karate, and why do people start their own Karate Systems, and import other systems to create mixed martial arts.

A # 9 They are trying to fill the void put the system back together to find the things that Itosu and Funakoshi took out. That is why many systems combine other systems in to theirs that is also why most people take more than one Martial Art the are trying to fill in the holes!

Re: Channan anew - 07/12/06 10:31 AM

all the other stuff everyone knows has been written and rumored before. but this:
Quote:

Q #6 Why do people look for teachers on Okinawa?
A # 6 They do not understand that many Masters left Okinawa taking their Karate with them in their Brains and what ever family members could go or that many Karate Masters were killed in the fighting so were their families, they do not understand that Okinawa was Sterilized and Sanatized during W.W.II and most people (Okinawan's) left only new (modern) or Itosu and Funakoshi based Karate was left. One reason is Japan Proper where Funkoshi exported his version of Itosu Karate to remained because the war was not fought on Japan Proper that was the purpose Okinawa to keep the Americans Off the Home Land.Okinawa became the Board on which the war took place.

I'm afraid you'll need to source this.
Posted by: ANDY44

Re: Channan anew - 07/12/06 10:48 AM

# 7 Is your Karate different than ours?
A # 7 Yes My Karate is not Itosu Based or Funakoshi Based do to the rare Lineage that escaped Okinawa to Hawaii and America.(Let's hide it under their nose.)

Hi

So exactly what is your karate?
In practical terms? I know some style of karate were watered down so how about you send me Naihanchi kata your way and the relevent bunkai?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Channan anew - 07/12/06 10:55 AM

avery,

It is not necessary, or allowed, to post the same posts on three different threads. Pick one and stick with it.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Channan anew - 07/12/06 12:11 PM

Sad thing is,they aren't his posts.He is just copying and pasting from other websites. I can't prove this....yet.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Channan anew - 07/12/06 12:28 PM

Another question, wax, with whom did you talk to on the phone last night?

Re: Channan anew - 07/12/06 12:59 PM

BrianS

The "sad" thing is that this idiots are still posting their dreck.

I don't mind a good fight---as long as its a "good" fight.

But page after page after page of random, weird, and just plain wrong, is no-where close to "good."

I honestly fail to see/understand the enjoyemnt people get out of being trolls.

Why not just go around wearing a sign that says:

"Nobodys like me and I have no life."

or

"I crave attention and since I am in no way interesting or respected I just run around being a jackass until people notice me."

or

"We're bored--we have nothing to do and were not old enough to drive a car or be interested in girls.
So lets get on-line and jack with people."

Or

"I crave attention so badly that even people being hacked at me is better than being ignored."

I just don't get how people get any kind of "charge" over being a time-wasting loser.

I really don't.

You know, karma's a bitch, and the next time someone decide to make THIER day just a little harder than it needs to be, the next time some jerk decides to jack THEM around, the next time that someone that could have cut them a break decides not to.

Well, I just hope that they keep in mind that is exactly how THEY spend THEIR time--so why should they be surprised that other people do the same?

Also hope they remember that they had it coming.