Quote:
I don't teach the step forward and punch Karate, I'm Ashihara Karate not Shotokan or Shukokai etc.

I don’t have any experience with Ashihara karate. I see that it has a Kyokushin background, which do have kata’s with ‘stepping punches'.

Quote:
Also I don't believe the more kata youi have the better your style, I think the less the better.

I hear this a lot from TMAist. A Bruce Lee 'less is more' hang up perhaps.
You have 16 kata on your syllabus and would like no more than 10?
Sounds like you could easily cut down.

Quote:
Regards to Kata being the heart of Karate I would say yes it is but I think the Kihon or Basics are the heart of Karate as without them Kata is unworkable….. I would say Kata is the heart of Karate. I teach Karate for the streets not for trophies

Hmm? Lets forget the heart of karate thing for now :-)

I would have thought you or your students would take part in tournaments with the styles Kyokushin background?

Quote:
I myself have used aspects of MY Ashihara Kata on many occasions in street situations and as they are Jissen (Real Combat) Kata they are perfectly suited although its through the study of traditional kata and bunkai which has allowed me to look at the Ashihara Kata in a different light…..

As I said I don’t know Ashihara, but looked up a youtube video of ‘jissen kata sono ichi’(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw05MXzJoTE).

I don’t know if this is that same (or similar) kata you are referring to, so please correct me if it is not.
There seems to me little room for interpretation in this form. I assume it is relatively recently invented? There is presumably good first-hand information about application and intent from the ‘creator’.

Again, excuse my ignorance of Ashihara, but if this is a ‘real combat’ kata, what are your other kata?

Quote:
… although its through the study of traditional kata and bunkai which has allowed me to look at the Ashihara Kata in a different light…..

Very interesting. With regards to your thread title, how did you go about studying the bunkai of traditional kata?