Originally Posted By: aplant
Oh and to answer your questions directly! laugh

I am happiest thinking of kata bunkai as responses to common violence. This is possibly due to my old karate clubs focus on self defence. I always enjoyed kata but have to acknowledge the 'poetic license' I allow when applying bunkai.

I too do not 'like' karate attack based bunkai. I acknowledge I would be a hypocrite to say it was wrong or I was right though. I can though see reasons why it is practiced. For one, it allows for safe and basic practice. Also it should be noted that not only 'low competence' places teach bunkai in this manner. I have seen it taught at very respectable karate dojo's.

Interesting that you say nobody steps forward and punches, so why teach it, when that exact movement is so prevalent in kata.

My main problem is with kata being 'heart' of karate, even though it's purpose and application are so vague and in fact unknown. (I'm sure some will claim this its strength!!!!!!!)

Now I enjoyed reading this post, good points put forward

I don't teach the step forward and punch Karate, I'm Ashihara Karate not Shotokan or Shukokai etc. Also I don't believe the more kata youi have the better your style, I think the less the better.

Regards to Kata being the heart of Karate I would say yes it is but I think the Kihon or Basics are the heart of Karate as without them Kata is unworkable.

No I missed what style you study so would love to know what context your point comes from
Originally Posted By: aplant
My main problem is with kata being 'heart' of karate, even though it's purpose and application are so vague and in fact unknown. (I'm sure some will claim this its strength!!!!!!!)

I myself have used aspects of MY Ashihara Kata on many occasions in street situations and as they are Jissen (Real Combat) Kata they are perfectly suited although its through the study of traditional kata and bunkai which has allowed me to look at the Ashihara Kata in a different light so this is why I would say Kata is the heart of Karate. I teach Karate for the streets not for trophies
thanks

Ken