Originally Posted By: Prizewriter
Just to provide a visual example of what I've encountered in Judo and BJJ as well Leo (a smaller women taking down a much bigger man), this is a clip from the MA documentary series called Samurai Spirit. In this episode, the host (Nicholas Pettas, who is 6 ft tall and 220 lbs) spars with a top Japanese female Judo player. He gets taken down twice without too much effort. Although friendly in it's nature, clearly Nicholas is trying as he is sweating and is actively trying to trip his opponent.

I am in no way implying that a smaller woman can not throw a large male. That would clearly be untrue.
Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. Different groups of people tend to have have different strengths and weaknesses.
If this were not the case we would not have weight classes in combat sport. We would not need sport to be (on the whole) split by gender.
In any other context I think what I am saying would be uncontroversial.
I say Size and gender(amongst other things) matter - then people point out they have been thrown by a small person?!?!!?

This is propagated in some MA due to an ideal that technique overcomes all. And I believe is a common idea held in self defence schools.

Originally Posted By: Leo
It's not that simple. Even if I consider the risk to be low, I may be justified in preparing for it. If you don't consider utility theory, then there would be little value in preparing for any disaster. Probability alone is not sufficient to estimate the value of disaster preparation.

Very good point and I do agree. I should have said risk and hazard.
There are two questions I ask about this in relation to the topic.
1)Do you believe that most people who begin training specifically for self defence have an accurate perception of risk and hazard?
2)Do you believe they have a accurate perception of the effectiveness of their training?
Both difficult questions for anyone to answer.

With regard to Hazard I was rather surprised by the statistics I found which shown that of violent crimes committed 64% end up with at most 'minor injuries' and about half with no injuries at all.

Originally Posted By: Leo
...I am not trying to sell anything. I do not gain financially from this discussion........I was referring to force, as measured in Newtons, not ease of use.....Why? Are you claiming that such techniques would be harmless or useless in SD? Perhaps your opinion is that these techniques pose no risk to an assailant (and thus pose no legal repercussions). Or that certain classes of individuals would be unable to perform them effectively? Please elaborate

I did not think you were trying to sell anything, or accuse you of trying to do so.

I know what you were referring to. Do you not see how the statement, (perhaps used on a self defence poster as I've seen in the past), might be misleading? It implies that strength, weight, power and size are unimportant. Re-read the statement you initially use it in and I believe it has that air.

I'm clearly not claiming techniques are harmless or useless in SD. Do you REALLY think that is my opinion?

I don't know what you mean by classes of people. My point is, and I keep making it, that everyone is not equal. My question is do places that teach self defence properly address this FACT?

The reason many take self defence may be because they are the most vulnerable. Another issue that should be addressed.

Quote:
How are these myths when many people have experienced them in training

I didn't say they were myths. Reread what I said. They lend to the myths of MA and SD.

It takes a little force.......
Skip to about 2 minutes in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT6xOFXUE...e=results_video

It can also be very difficult to achieve.
All I'm saying is be realistic with statements like these. Especially as they encourage the little 90 year old undefeatable master type myth.

Quote:
They are directed to either our own Jujitsu instructor...

Is your jujitsu instructor also a judo instructor?

Quote:
I'm not an expert on self defense, but I do like the idea of talking to police officers regarding local gang activity, hazardous neighbourhoods, focusing on awareness and avoidance, getting the experience of adrenaline dump using pressure drills like in an RBSD class and finally training defenses against a resisting opponents of all shapes and sizes.

I personally think that these experiences are valuable for anyone who cares about self defense

Good points. So in part through experience of where one succeeds and fails in class.