aplant

Yeah, it can be done for practically no investment--but "common sense" is almost never "common." IMO.

If your asking questions about "value" then eventually you get to value for "whom?" And how much "money" are we talking about?

Good questions--but they are pretty subjective ones.

"is someone whose priority is only self defense backing the wrong horse?"

Again, good question. The only thing I can think to answer it is a buddy of mine.

He is ex-military (not that really matters since he was a engineer and not a member of SEAL Team 6) he has a concealed carry permit and he spends about an hour in the gym every day--mainly weight and cardio and trains in martial arts 3xs a week.

I asked him why he does all that--and my paraphrase to his long amswer/s was:

"Good health is medicine--the better shape I'm in the less I spend on healthcare"

and

"I'd rather have it and NOT need it than NEED it and not HAVE it."

I'm guessing that if you polled people you'll get 2 basic groups:

1-Those whose training "worked" when they needed it.

2-And those whose training did not.

Problem is there are so many human factors that will effect the use/application of martial arts training that its almost useless to try and squeeze any concrete conclusions out of it.

Think of it like school, here in the US people of the same age often are in the same grade, same class-room, same teachers, same text-books, same homework, same assignements, often realitively the same socio-economic background. Not exact, but a pretty decent similar background.

And yet people get widely different grades/outcomes--some get "A's", some get "B's" some get "C'" some just barely pass and some fail.

Why should martial arts be any different?

Maybe "backing the wrong horse" has as much to do with the rider as it does the horse itself?

Edited by cxt (01/25/13 10:57 AM)