aplant

Good questions! And IMO ones that need to be really considered.

Wish I had equally good answers.

I guess it depends on how people define things.

IMO you can get "better" on a fairly quickly. But is "better" going to be enough?

You can teach someone how to play basketball pretty quickly--but how good are they going to be with just a "bit" of practice? You might be able to sink baskets pretty well in practice---but can you do so in the chaos of the game with people trying to stop you?

After a year of practice would you be able to play well vs. folks that have spent MANY YEARS playing basketball?

If you spend 5 years in dedicated practice, chances are you would be pretty good--but would you be good enough to play college ball?

I guess it dependes on how good you "need" to be.

Interms of "self-defense"--kinda depends on how exactly you define it. If you don't hang out in doddgy places with sketchy people, if you are smart about where you go and what you do, if pay attention to what is going on around you, if you don't get drunk and stupid in public places, etc. then you will IMO/and experience drastically reduce your chances of needing to be able to fight.

Sure, trouble can always find you--but I can almost assure you that if you go looking for it--it WILL find you.

"When someone tries to mug us, we rightly hand over the money and run."

That is exactly what I would do. I'm not carrying ANYTHING worth bleeding or going to jail over.

I was always taught that martial arts were a sort of "last ditch" kinda-thing. You used it only when you couldn't run/couldn't get away or couldn't get to a weapaon or something you could use as a weapon.

Edited by cxt (01/15/13 12:08 PM)