Hello Chen Zen:

Bowing formally with amusement...

I know little of "tradition", save the tiny one I came from. It was a ~small house~ art. We are all speaking in generics, big brush stereotypes. As others have offered, I too believe there is a meaningful difference between Okinawan arts and their Japanese cousins. I wish I had more exposure, experience to many practices, Neijia, TMA and so forth. But in general I accept your views and perspective...

That said how much contact is required I wonder? As a young man, I would heal regardless. As a married man, with children, the broken nose, the fractured ribs are not necessary for my practice as a daily matter anyway...? If insane/intense is training, how many last, grow or thrive I wonder? How many drop out too injured, too brutalized to function and live in the daily world? I do accept contact is necessary, fundamental to training, but I ask aloud what is "too much"? How much becomes blood letting without value, what becomes neanderthal masturbation, ego 101...

"ME TOUGH..." ok, and... grin

<<It is this contact and "ALIVE" training that defins the practic of MMA.

Pleasant to watch at times, I am not a fan of the CONTEMPT and UNDIGNIFIED behavior most imv display.

<<How do you work in the resistance? Sparring? Drilling? Kumite?

Sparring is an "active method" but has too many pieces to be a clean demonstration, IMHO many times. But in the general sense, sure. By kumite, I will assume you mean the assorted step (1,3,5 step kumite etc.)flavors? That was not too large a piece of our curriculum often. But remember we were not Japanese flavored art... Culturally speaking we had Okinawan martial great grand parents, and american interpretation, grand parents, and american parents martially speaking. That may certainly skew my understanding.

But in the sense of learning a technique 1,3,5 step kumite can be done with resistance, ONCE the mechanics, the basic ideas have been actually learned IMV...

<<When you work the resistance, are you confined to using that particualar technique or movement?

No, but resistance comes in many flavors. Someone resisting a technique because they have something to prove? They do not understand how an idea/technique works? If this is resistance, they are in the way of learning, deliberately.

That being said, if I and a peer "resist" doing a drill we are practicing we are exploring solutions, probing what can and cannot be found buried within it/them.

But yes drills are a reasonable place to explore resistance, IF, if all parties agree, and UNDERSTAND, ok we can resist far more strongly. IMHO, IMHV-fwiw this must be said ALOUD to prevent misunderstanding, ego, or hurting someone without real cause.

<<What are your opponents options or limits?

Stated, said aloud, if we are exploring escapes, their front kick solution is likely problematic, if, if we are trying to explore a technical scenario to ingrain a clean response.

If it is free-flow, "anything goes" that is a different creature, and perfectly reasonable to solve whatever arises.

<<the best tchniques for defense could be placed within one simple kata, if you choose to practice in that fashion.

What did you have in mind ?! Look forward to the youtube vid grin

Humbly,

Jeff