Hello Chen Zen:

<<kata lacks resistance in its training.

With respect, I believe you are mistaken... the ability to demonstrate the initial rote movements is eating no deeper than the surface skin of the apple.

True the surface of kata does not have resistance... initially.
And if that surface were the entirety of kata, (ie only the rote movements), then what was taught was severely incomplete.

The "resistance" you speak of comes from the 2nd stage of kata training; the application of these movements. As with basic techniques, or the initial learning of the form movements, application takes time to learn well.

There is no instant. It takes a very long time to learn how to cope with the different factors, issues that every different body presents. Can someone pull them off... maybe. The more time I spend at the tiny pieces of the bigger kata, my body will learn how to adjust subconsciously.

<<you do it well in the air doesn't mean that it will be so in self defense and that can be dangerous.

The same argument can be made with nuclear bombs, guns, swords, or bare handed. The ability to make no mistakes, or to actually pull the proverbial trigger is entirely simulated until the real thing happens. Myself, I will gladly take the risk...
The intensity of training I find quite sufficient, these are people I know (and mostly like) they won't pull back, I will try not to hurt them either. If I give them the chance, they can and will harm me... with regret! sick

<<Order and pattern has no place in the chaos that is battle.

Ridiculous.

Response that is not deeply trained, deeply ingrained will make greater mistakes. Of course we cannot include ALL factors but we can explore all kinds of basic scenarios pretty thoroughly.
You have to begin training somewhere... build a foundation.

<<The best fighter is a mystery undefinable by his opponent.

You are talking about the "red fighter", the primitive. His/her nemesis is someone who is ACTIVELY absorbing information, actively noting their opponent(s) mistakes, habits, patterns. These people are "white fighters", sharp-shooters. One shot and the situation is ended if they are effective with their skills.

<<if I know what you are doing or going to do, you will not do it without being punished

Of course, but unknown to one another, we are both mysteries to each other. We assess quickly, whomever is better at it, should have advantages.

<<Third, I would suggest that most traditional systems are too expansive, Encompassing too many techniques.

My art has a grand total of ten punches, and seven kicks. There are seven stances and a grand total of ten unarmed kata, and a fist full of various weapons forms. The numbers you mention I think cover some very particular arts; Shitoryu Karate in particular comes to mind. The majority of our "Korean airborne cousins" as well. Not all by any means, but a great many seem to subdivide and separate their art into shredded self-contained parts/pieces.

Self-defense is not something entirely different or seperate to kata centric arts. For them the opposite in fact is true. But for those who can remember that tsunami of isolated, separate 5,000 (?) techniques, that many insane disjointed parts I say bless them!

I agree too many different responses has definate and entirely avoidable risks.

Humbly as well,

Jeff