K

Have to agree "single strikes" seldom end fights--although you see it happen the UFC on occasion. TKO's happen with somewhat greater frequency.
And a "single" blow that stun/disorients just enough to allow for multiple additional strikes or a takedown/hold happen as well.

In terms of kata, I agree---although I think your mixing "training" with "application."
As I suggested the points you make would, from my POV, be more suggestive with lower rank training. We start off with say the "solor plexis" target because its safer to have newbies punch there than at the easily damaged face/head. Plus even pro boxer get their hands broken with head punches in street fights. Its safer for the puncher at that satge as well.

Same with Kumite at that stage as well.

IMO smile

I'd also have to agree that many schools don't teach what many would agree is important.

I disagree howevr with the value of MMA style training---it has as many potential flaws as TMA.

"The idea that kata provides all the tools one needs is increasingly becoming an obvious fallacy"

Which is in and of itself framed as "strawman" fallacy.

A-I don't personaly know anyone that actually thinks that way or teaches that way.
I'm sure that there are people that do--I just can't/won't defend the practice since its not how I was taught nor is it how anyone I know teaches.

B-Those that do are not teaching properly IMO--so its a problem with the teachers

C-I was taught that anything you can do in the kata you should be able to do on the heavy bag--so the statement "everything is in kata" might be a bit more defensable than one might first think.

All I can say is that I was taught to do kata at "speed" and that the kata needed to be done as hard and as fast as you could do---at least for some types of practice.
I can't comment on how other people do it.

Goju however does teach "hooking" punches in its kata.

I agree with you that people need to hit stuff and that single strikes to the abdomen as "fight stoppers" are vastly low percentage shots.

"Meeting the goals of students"

I would agree, presumming that the students actually know what it is they need to know.

The number of students that start training without having been in a single fight in their lives is honestly kind of scary to me.
I started training because I got the ^&%&*% kicked of me a couple of times--so I at least knew what it felt like to lose.
I see all kinds younger people coming into schools whose only experience is watching TV---they niether understand the length of time it takes to develop real skills nor the importance physical conditioning nor what a fight can be "really" like. Or how hard serious training really is.

Some schools and teachers take advantage of their ignorance--a pox on their houses!!!!

Overall we are much more in agreement than not! smile

have a Merry Christmas and safe New Year--talk to you next year.