Not too sure about other countries but in the UK it is associated with the "Belt Factories" "Family Martial Arts" and "Black Belt Academies" that are the "McDojos" or "Black Belt in 18 months" schools of the martial Arts world.

This Rotating Syllabus doesn't give anything to the higher Grades, and how can a lower grade appreciate or understand the complexities of the senior Kata. The Kata for "Normal" schools is designated in their locations mainly because one Kata feeds into another and another etc.

I was in my Tang Soo Do School and left just before they implemented it there and this is a "Family Martial Arts" school.

For most schools the Pinan/Heian Kata are part of their syllabus and these must go in sequence as the technicalities of each kata are for someone who hasn't been training for as long as others will misunderstand the what why when where and how - UNLESS you school just practices Kata for passing grades then it doesn't really matter because even at Black Belt you will never know the what why when where and how unless your Instructor passes that information on to you.

I do go through some of the Senior Kata with my class but I don't expect the lower grades to get it correct or even remember the techniques. But then Again my school does practice Bunkai. Our self defence is found INSIDE the kata not a separate part of the syllabus.

Definitely a NO-NO for me with regards to a Rotating Curriculum

Ken