My area has it's fair share of Mc-dojos, but I lucked out by picking a school with experienced instructors who are traditional, and at the same time willing to incorporate new methods into our training.
No contracts, inexpensive, and achieving black belt takes about 6 years provided you pass all of your tests.
I watched a few classes before I joined, and never was pressured into signing up. After I did join, I found that the instructors and higher ranking students are very helpful and take the time to show me the right way to do things.
My instructor had a student who fell on hard times due to the economic downturn, but he let him continue to train with us until he got back on his feet. He did little chores around the dojo to cover his fees.
I have to say that I'm pretty happy with my dojo so far. It's tough training, and it takes a lot out of me (I'm 45) but I'm learning a lot, I've dropped 21 pounds in the 8 weeks that I've been training, and when class is over I have a satisfied feeling of accomplishment.