Originally Posted By: WadoNovice
But in the aikido class the instructor told me to focus at a point mid-way between my hip and knee and about 2 inches away from my leg. (Outside my body? I asked about that and was told that only human minds feel the need to label certain atoms and energy as our own - the universe doesn't make such distinctions) That was when we were standing up straight, feet together. Things got even more confusing when we sat down! I asked if the one-point was still hovering over my thigh but apparently it was now on the ground. I didn't ask _where_ on the ground because I was feeling a bit defeated by this stage.

So I guess what I would like to know is:

Where is my one-point when I am sitting in seiza?

Is there a 'Ladybird' book on Aikido? (for children and/or idiots) Preferably with pictures?

Are some people just too stupid to do Aikido? (Maybe some of us should just stick to running around like lunatics and hitting things)

I'm sorry for asking you all a very stupid beginners question.

C
There are no stupid questions. Just not very well thought out lines of inquiry. wink

I think the instructor might have been confusing the seika-no-tanden - which is what Ki Soc. generally refer to when they say "one point" and your actual center of gravity - which changes depending on how your body is positioned in relation to 3D space.

The seika-no-tanden, or tanden (abbr.), (or dantien in Chinese), is a "reference point" that is 4 fingers width below your navel and approx. 1 fist width inside your body.

Aikido is in effect, the real basic stuff you (should) learn to do before you even learn to punch, kick or throw. Understanding how your dantien drives movement, or how power is generated thru your legs, controlled by the waist/middle and manifested in the hands forms the basis of nearly every Asian martial art.