I studied with the WJJF for a few months, and we had to do hip throws against non-resisting opponents.

In Judo class we drilled a few throws for the first half of the class, then tried to apply them in Randori (sparring, if you like). It is hard to describe the huge chasm between the difficulty levels of throwing a compliant partner vs throwing a fully resistant partner.

Even Judo white belts, usual due to nerves, would tense up and plant their weight as they didn't want to get thrown. It was tough for even experienced Judo-ka to throw them.

As for throws in an actual fight outside of class.... Well, for me throws are in the same category as high kicks: Very risky for me to try!! In order to make a lot of my Judo throws work I had to drive my weight down and this meant as often as not I landed on the ground with my training partner. Usually it was in an advantageous position but sometimes it wasn't.

I think it was Taison who described Judo throws as dynamically slamming someone in to the ground, which I agree with. If a person isn't expecting this or hasn't experienced this, no doubt in my mind they are in for a world of pain, not to mention the possibly they will get badly injured too.

Injuries in Judo are usually caused by people not falling well from a throw. Good work on break falls can help prevent this, but nothing is certain in a full contact sport.

Check a class and see what you think. FWIW, I think Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has a lot of similarities to Judo but is safer (you don't get thrown anywhere near as much!).

Check out a Judo class and see what you think. A good club will go easy on a noob, so you will get a feel for it without too much risk!