What Brians said. If you make gun ownership against the law criminals will still easily get them. That's proven. I believe that has happened in chicago. And even if criminals didn't have guns they would still be violent. I can't exactly imagine vicious Latin Kings or MS13 guys suddenly being compassionate and peaceful due to a lack of guns. Guns were created i nthe 1600s and people were plenty violent before that.
I dont particularly want to be caught in a gun fight without a gun. Now I'm not sure every needs 20 guns for self protection (I only keep a .357 in a copartment under my headboard and an 1873 .22). But it's comforting to have a couple.
Personally I think we should do like the ISraelis and make miltiary service mandatory for at least 2 and a half or 3 years. That would all but solve issues of gun safety. I know in the Army the slightest safety mistake is severely punished (I've seen guys get body slammed for running with weapons on semi haha).
All this being said I do think at least background check should be required before buying guns as well as yearly qualification on a safety course by owners. Wouldn't hurt and it's not a big inconvienence.
About Canada not having as many gun related deaths or violence-Canadians are hoenstly much more peaceful people than Americans. Canada doesn't have places like Compton, or the Ibraville Projects, Newark, Destroit, etc. I bet there is a lower rate of all forms of violence and crime in Canada (yet somehow you guys have a pretty decent military).
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,