Hi Brian --

The national rates are adjusted for population (still much greater in the US). I know what you mean about cars, but both the US and Canada DO have a lot of car regulations, and licensing laws, and mandatory training, and driving tests, and seatbelt laws, and removal of licenses for dangerous driving... and that's for a tool that's meant for transportation, not built to be an effective weapon. Don't you think actual weapons need effective regulation? It does keep down the ridiculous accidents. (And "law-abiding" doesn't mean much if there are no laws). People who have never thought about how to appropriately handle weapons are more numerous than the criminals -- guidelines are helpful for people to realize what is acceptable, "law-abiding' behavior). I agree with you that education is key.

By the way, many Canadians do own guns (there are gun clubs in the cities, and outside those people need them for hunting and critter control among other uses, and marksmanship is a valued skill), and my husband, a US Navy vet who has owned and appreciated a variety of weapons, tells me that he is very comfortable with the gun laws here. His brother, retired from the LAPD, was irritated at having to leave his gun in storage at the border, but didn't mind that he was visiting a country where other people on the street were also not carrying.

Edited by hope (05/11/10 12:36 AM)