I think any MA can be practiced as a Budo, some people understand Budo and they don't even know they are doing Budo.

Whereas some people talk the Budo talk, but act like total )(*holes.

The problem with MMA in this regard isn't in the training or methods, it's in the marketing, the stupid tapout t shirts, and the pandering to the insecure, angry, overly competitive (yes of course there is healthy competition..but there is also definitely alot of unhealthy competition in MA) culture of testosterone filled young males.

That said, many TMA do something very similar, and it some ways do something even more insidious by instilling the kind of "i'm a warrior - RAWR" attitude that was mentioned earlier.

I remember an early formative MA experience:

We we sparring in my first Shorin Ryu dojo...the guy I was sparring was getting [censored] he couldn't hit me very often, going harder and harder etc...nothing came of it, but it went from being a spar to something more...eventually I had to kind of pin him on a wall and ask him to calm down, by this point of course my own adrenaline was pumping too...and being a oyung man myself i'm thinking about blasting him back, harder than normal dojo contact level for sure.

So after class, my teacher takes us all aside points to the kanji for "Karatedo" on the wall and says "what does this mean"...of course there are all manner of things people say, and he just says something like "no, it means...don't be an !*&hole, here or anywhere else".

Personally.. i think it is irresponsible to not teach some basic moral code if you are teaching people martial skills, it doesn't need to be preachy or constantly harped on, but there needs to be an environment where people understand the consequences of using what they are learning.

It might not matter so much with adults, but with teaching young men especially IMO it's very important. I know I have seen some schools where they are just kind of left to their own devices in this area, and the environment of the dojo suffers for it.

People like to mock the philosophical side of martial arts, but as I get older it just becomes more important to me.

Discipline, that's what it comes down to. I don't mean that in a fake, stupid way, I mean that in the sense of making sincere effort into something over a long period of time, with some humility and perserverance.

The problem with the "i want to know how to fight right now" attitude, is that it can fly in the face of the above things.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (03/11/10 08:30 PM)