"In other words, people in the scientific community are trying to debunk "chi" while remaining open to the fact that a lot of these things (e.g. Qi Gong) can have health benefits that can be explained in a rational/scientific way."

If that is actually your point of view, then I agree with it. Some of these practices are beneficial for reasons that can be explained by medical science, including placebo effect, amongst other things. However it means that the TCM explanations for certain things reliant on a mystery, undetectable energy, Chi, are false. This is implied in your quote above, as it talks about a rational explanation, as opposed to the irrationality of undetectable energy fields.

"you can call it breath, or you can call it 'energy', but in the end, it means either one."

No you cannot. As I said yesterday, you are simply conveniently using Chi/ki to mean whatever you want it to mean, to suit your perspective.

Try this definition: "Energy is the capacity of a physical system to perform work. Energy exists in several forms such as heat, kinetic or mechanical energy, light, potential energy, electrical, or other forms." How can breath be considered energy by this? All energy is identifiable and measurable-when you can identify and measure chi and demonstrate the physical capacity of chi to perform work, I will be on the way to being convinced.

Edited by Barad (03/10/09 06:03 AM)