Quote:

I think Prizewriter's answer is very good. It describes well what I believe to be the healing benefits of kata or qigong.

I'm pretty ignorant on the healing aspects of kata, so I'll go along as I believe prize to be a levelheaded guy.

Quote:

If I am medically sick, I go to a doctor.

I agree and I didn't see anyone imply that kata is better than western medicine or a replacement for it.

Quote:

If I am sick of being sick or feel subjectively "out of balance" whatever that may mean, I may do qigong especially if I can do it outside in the sunshine. It isn't the cancer cure but it might make the cancer cure more barable on the days when one has nausea and fatigue.

I have to disagree with this. As a former cancer patient NOTHING would make the nausea,fatigue or imbalance effects of chemotherapy in high doses disappear. The chemo kills cells and damages your inner ear among many other things. This is what threw off my balance, caused fatigue, etc. The nausea was just another side effect. After 8 different nausea prescriptions I just gave up and dealt with it.

Quote:

I know other people ascribe more healing ability to it and that is fine. This is the kind of help I personally get from it. I know that this is one reason why kata practice will stay with me as I get older. I find it makes me feel better.

I have found that it makes me feel better as well and that's just one reason why I continue kata practice. I have had days where I was drained and just felt frumpy until doing kata and feeling reenergized.

"To each their own", is a great way of looking at kata practice and its' benefits. Everything else is just subjective hogwash.

Quote:

I do not know of any objective tests regarding qigong and healing. Some things are deductive and some things are experiencial or inductive. I suppose you could make up a scale like a Leikert scale with 5 points and have people with chronic illnesses rate subjectively how they feel after a Tai Chi class vs a group with chronic illness who attend a lecture about gentle stretching exercises or something but I really don't care that much. It works for me. If someone else wants to do the research, I'd be pleased to read it.

That would be interesting!