Hi Ken

As Supermor said, most Judo classes nowadays aren't going to teach any striking. The striking taught in Kodokan Goshin Jutsu is simulated anyway (i.e. they don't actually hit each other properly).

Regarding Kata in Judo, most modern clubs don't bother with in in the UK until students are at a high level. Personally I think this is madness .

Regarding "types" of Judo, there is basically one kind of Judo. There are variations on the way it is taught e.g. Kosen Judo focus on Ne Waza, or some clubs teaching Kata and Randori, but essentially they are all teaching Judo. I read an interview with a Kosen Judo Sensei in Japan. He said that Kosen Judo was a different approach to Kodokan Judo, but they still taught Kodokan Judo.

There are some orginizations in the UK outside the British Judo Association who teach Judo. The BJA are sports orientated Judo. The British Judo Council and the Zen Judo Family teach traditional Judo, with more emphasis on kata.

In fact, Zen Judo have a club in the Greater Manchester Area:

http://zenjudo.co.uk/content-3.html

I've trained with the ZJF club in Ireland. They are fantastic for a traditional approach to Judo. They better understood the principles of Judo and were better able to educate people on these principles. And the knowledge on kata was first class.

This may be more up your street. One more point about the traditional Judo class I noted: They didn't have a single injury in the few classes I attended. This is increbibly unusual when compared to a sports Judo class. They still did great randori, but they didn't seem to have any injuries. That said they spent about 20-30 minutes on ukemi, so that may be a factor.

Hope this helps.