humility, being humble, and all that.

some perspectives:

Kant is among the first philosophers to view conception of humility as "that meta-attitude which constitutes the moral agent's proper perspective on himself as a dependent and corrupt but capable and dignified rational agent"

Mahatma Gandhi is attributed as suggesting that attempting to sustain truth without humility is doomed to cause it to become instead an "arrogant caricature" of truth.

Tao Te Ching - a wise person acts without claiming the results as his; he achieves his merit and does not rest (arrogantly) in it: -- he does not wish to display his superiority.

Nietzsche wrote of humility as a weakness, a false virtue which concealed the frailties and hidden crookedness in its holder.

(To President Kennedy when he was being presented with a gold medal for 'services to his country'. ) "I feel very humble, but I think I have the strength of character to fight it." ~ Bob Hope

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."
~Albert Einstein

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
~Isaac Newton

A thought on this as it pertains to MA -

- Someone trains for a total of x years, then decides they are qualified to teach, so they open a commercial gym and advertise themselves.
The same claims with humility they are forever a student and always learning, yada yada..., yet they have self-assumed a qualification and position of teacher.

Is it a contradiction for someone to assume such a self-appointed position, yet be genuinely humble?

The extreme image would be like seeing a 30-year-old self-appointed 10th dan with flashy gi and trophies lining the dojo...yet be speaking to the class on lessons of humility and the virtue of being humble. seems a bit false, when contrasting his actions to his words.

same sortof thing is my point, but I'm meaning less in the extreme - the more subtle.

The transfer of genuine humilty to false humilty seems a prerequisite in some measure for many that perhaps self-assume a roll of teacher pre-maturely. The lure of the status, money, power, security, ego, attention etc could be hidden beneigth a sheild of false humility.

It could even go more subtle - as in me self-deeming I have something interesting enough to say to create a thread on a public forum...and then adding something like "what are your thoughts?" as if to show enough humbleness to erase the pompousness it takes to create the new thread.

so...what are your thoughts?