I refer more to the initial stages of the confrontation when you have someone intent on fighting for no good reason. A lot of students do not have the skills or techniques to use to calm the situation down properly and get out of it without having to use force.

Believe me, I am by no means a pacifist. If you put your hands on me, all the de-escaltion techniques in the world won't keep me from tearing into you but before it comes to that, you may be able to reduce the threat of violence by using other skills to talk your way out of it.

Also, if you have a child in your care or a woman who has no training and may be frightened, de-escalation would be the best solution. You may be prepared to fight but how do you protect yourself and those around you from harm at the same time, especially if there is more than one threat?

There are too many variables to think that all you need to know is how to fight. It simply makes sense to have other options and to be trained on how & when to use them properly.

As to how much class time to take up on it, that is the instructor's call. It is something I would do in more of a seminar type format maybe once or twice a year as opposed to doing it in class. Once I had covered it extensively, a brief reference back to it before self defence training should be sufficient to keep people thinking about how to use the skills if needed and when needed.

Edited by RazorFoot (05/21/08 01:28 PM)