Quote:

As for striking to end conflicts you don't have to hit full power and permanently injure to stop an attack for real. That is why kyoshu jutsu and tuite are utilized as well. Using joint locking techniques and hitting pressure points enable this. Take the legs out and you take the fight out of your opponent. Take the arms out and he cannot hit back. Take the wind out and he cannot fight. I don't have many adult students. I am grateful the ones I have don't mind taking a certain level of punishment, but this is a full contact practice after all. For me its like playing american football and never having any sort of hard contact practices. Yes there is a chance of injury, but that's the risks of our practice.

I don't disagree Marcel. There is less difference between us than you think. My point about "contact" was made in the context of your argument that yakusoku drills fill the void that embu fill. I feel that they do not, because your partner doesn't get the chance to resist your counter by deflecting it. And saying that you've "stopped" your opponent "cold" so that resistance in the form I've talked about is impossible is, IMHO, not realistic in the dojo.

If you tried to apply a tuide application on me after my attack, I'd do my best to resist and punch you at the same time. I wouldn't just let you. This is where embu comes into its own. It teaches you "how" to resist effectively - using kata bunkai.

BTW - in most of our embu one side attempts to perform a tuide, but the other side stops/thwarts it. This teaches you how to escape from a tuide application. On the other hand our tuide lock flows and bunkai let us apply them as you have suggested.

And I agree that a bit of contact is good.