Quote:

lol...you guys try hard to circle the argument, but the simple question is, did your Karate instructor teach you ground submission wrestling in 2-person drills with him looking on and correcting? so far, I'm reading everyone say no, that skillset wasn't specifically passed on to them thru Karate channels. How about yourself Jude?

In wado there are traditional jujitsu techniques called idori.

They are in the main defence when both people are on their knees.
Some do involve rolling about on the floor.

It was taught in the wado karate syllabus. I was shown some of them but didint realy take a lot of interest at the time namely because the expertise in using the knowledge in that area is held by a very few.

If the same techniques found in idori are in Okinawan kata then there is proof of groundfighting in Okinawan karate.

The Japanese infleunce on certain strains of Okinawan karate.

So I am afraid it would be for someone to do a lot of research, learning all the techniques in wado and all the katas available before that line to groundfighting in Okinawan karate could be established or not.

Master Ohtsuka
Trained in Shinto Yoshin Ryu Ju-Jitsu
and other strains of jujitsu.
He trained with
Master Funakoshi, Mabuni Sensei and Motobu Senei
He then trained in
Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Kenjitsu

In 1934 'Wado-Ryu Karate Jitsu' was created by Master Ohtsuka.

On April 29th 1966, the Emperor of Japan gave Ohtsuka the rank of "Kun Go To" and decorated him with the "Soko Kyokujitsu Sho" Medal for his effort to spread the practice of Karate-Do.

He was also the 4th headmaster of Shindo Yoshin Ryu jujitsu.

By the early 1930's Ohtsuka sensei had parted company with Funakoshi.
It was his belief that Funakoshi had over-simplified and modified several karate techniques and katas in the interests of teaching large groups of beginners.

He had also wanted to incorporate what is now known as Jiyu kumite (free fighting). Funakoshi was against this form of training. Ohtsuka sensei combined knowledge of Funakoshi's karate with his new knowledge of Okinawan karate, and added several of his own adaptations from the samurai martial art of jiu-jitsu, to form Wado karate.

End of quote

Jude