Quote:

It is an ancient Chinese belief that evil or evil forces are found or originate from the north

You bet they do! XIONG-NU!

Quote:

the west is the dwelling paradise of the gods and an old chinese euphemism for death is to ascend the 'western paradise'

Yes, I remember now... Xi-You-Ji.

Quote:

I always face north or south to take advantage of the earth's north/south flow of magnetic forces.

I was wondering... For different exoteric reasons (facing Jerusalem/the Mecca, etc.), the Chinese, the Christians and the Muslims all face east when praying/contemplating/meditating. Therefore I definitely think there must be an esoteric reason hidden behind the exoteric one(s). I had been thinking about a possible geo-magnetic explanation, but since you say that those forces are more favourably taken advantage of when facing north/south, I guess the secret must lie somewhere else... It's not about the sun either, because east is still the best direction to face even when doing neigong in the afternoon, according to my former shifu. Any idea?
Here in Europe (and everywhere in the World as far as I'm aware, including in locations situated north, south or east of Jerusalem), churches are systematically oriented so that the fidels are facing east when facing the altar. I may add that until recently, the priest would also face the altar. The current habit of having the priest facing the fidels (and turing his back on God! ) is quite a recent development of Christian liturgy.