Quote:

Hello Itami:

What possible value would this "club" be? Train period... why on earth need a seperate group for doing what you are supposed to do normally?

Jeff

Honestly, I've never questioned it. It's always been there and always used, so I don't know if it has some special intended purpose that's laid out somewhere.

It ends up being a status thing, I think (though I doubt this is it's purpose). You stand out if you're in BBC; it's supposed to show you've made your decision that you really like your experience with martial arts and have set a goal to become a black belt. We usually hold those people to a higher standard (mainly attitude and behavior, especially juniors with school grades and home attitude - they let it slip, we try and help them get back on track... after so long, they're off of BBC). I personally didn't know if I liked martial arts that much for my first 2 1/2 years, though I was never excluded or felt inferior because of my decision.

It's part of the school culture now as it is. 25 years ago when they first started, they might have done it differently, I don't know - I've only been in the game for about a decade. Good question.