lets pick up where we left off dragon fire. this is also for paddles to whom i promised it weeks ago
it was an integral part of bob's teaching that all martial arts were more alike than they were different and that the differences lay mostly on the surface. the underlying principles and body mechanics etc. are all the same in their ideal state. he often showed the minor variations in a forms portrayal with different 'styles' to emphasize how much they were the same. he would show the tai chi, aiki-jutsu, isshin ryu, chi-na etc etc.
his feeling was that once you had the basics down; you could go off and learn whatever manifestation of those basics that sparked you. i myself loved the chinese stuff so that is what he helped me with. he would always say there are nothing but basics. i remember having an argument with him in which he stated that practitioners should not be babied for years and years dependent on their teachers. he said a student should have all the tools he needs to pursue mastery within six months. i was incredulous. he said that most of us have all that we need and we just need to work with it. instead of looking for more styles to round out your training or whatever, just look deep and deeper inside and figure yourself out. that is what this is about.
looking back i know he was right.
take the guitar as an analogy. i could teach you three chords and a scale in about ten minutes that might take you ten years to master and that means practicing every day. that is what he meant . it will only take you as far as your dedication.
bob had a dream of having a school where the first floor was a dojo and the up or downstairs would be a huge library. not only books but lots of video.
a student would go through his' basic training' for six months to a year and then be assigned to a mentor. the older 'sibling' would then monitor the aspirants progress giving help where it was needed but most of the research and work would be done trough self study with the help of books and video and fellow practitioners. he felt that we lived in a unique and bountiful time where you could have a master do a form over and over at the touch of a button. pretty incredible.
i wonder if anyone who is teaching this style now knows of this 'dream'?
what does everyone think of it.
there are an awful lot of issin shorinji people who view this post and very few who contribute. it would be great if a few folks jumped off the bench and hollered.
its nice to have you here dragon fire. thanks for the interest.