Last night's class was a review of this material:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...page=0&vc=1

We also worked another mount escape, but I don't know the technical term for it. I have heard it referred to variously as "hydraulic", "bench press" and "pop tart".

It works when the opponent is attempting to "lay heavy" on your upper body, instead of posturing up. As his weight is more towards the top, his hips and legs are lighter. The escape starts with a strong "bridge" or "buck" to left his hips up. At the top of the bridge, you let your hips drop back down, and take over holding his hips up with your arms. This creates space to let your leg (or legs, if there's enough room) get between his. Get your hooks in for butterfly guard, extend the opponent (or yourself) away, and sit up (typically using an overhook/underhook grip, head tight against his jaw).

Had a blah night in free-rolling. Did some matches with a fairly new white belt, who pretty much dominated me positionally the whole time. I came close to submitting him twice or thrice, but was never able to lock in a good enough position to do it - story of my BJJ life.

On the positive side, he never even came close to submitting me. And I did use butterfly guard pretty well to keep him off-balance. But I was mad at myself that I did not do many of the things that I wanted to work on - using the omoplata/gogoplata shin position, spinning/rolling out from underneath, hip bump sweep, etc........

My endurance and side-control escapes still need major work. Hopefully I do better next class.