Last night's class focused on the head/arm triangle (sometimes called the side strangle). We worked from several positions, including scarf hold, side control, and guard. My instructor showed us a neat cartwheel transition for the scarf control postion, and a knee ride transition.

He stressed locking the figure-4 as high as possible on your shoulder, with your other arm on the back of your skull. This makes it very tight and extremely difficult for the opponent to peel off. He also stressed dropping the hips and chest forward and to the floor, when doing the choke from the top. This focuses your weight onto the choke, requiring less arm strength to make it work.

He also told us to take advantage of the opponent's normal reactions to set up the choke. For instance, when attempting the choke from guard, the opponent will usually be trying to stack you, or put a forearm in your neck. By pushing away with your legs, the opponent will often try to come back in even harder. As he does, you pass his arm between your head and his as you slide your other arm around his head to lock the choke on.

From the top, the opponent may sometimes try to "frame" his arm against your neck to keep pressure off him. As he pushes away, you suddenly release the pressure, passing his arm between you, and set the choke up.

Did some very light (no-sub) warm-up rolling with one of the blue belts. Rolled several matches with another visiting blue from another school. He had a very fluid, mobile game, rolling out of everything I tried - although I came THIS CLOSE to locking a guillotine on him. He then proceeded to land 3 or 4 different subs on me, including a clock choke. He did compliment me on my defense, noting that I avoided several other sub attempts.

He gave me some good points about not being "too heavy", not leaving one arm in, elevating hips to lock opponent's arms out, etc. Very nice guy, and good to roll with.

Good class overall, although I am extremely tired today.