Last night's class was review of this material:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...page=0&vc=1

Class ran over somewhat, so it cut into free-rolling time a bit. I did get a chance to roll with one of the blue-belts. Worked my takedown defense better than I have been, making him take about a full minute to get me down. He normally is able to take me to the ground very quickly. I nearly caught him in a kimura, but he kept me from locking my lower body enough to finish it. I was actually able to pull off the "Renzo sweep" (what others may know as an "alligator roll") from bottom north/south position. It worked well, although I ended up getting caught in a triangle anyway.

Also rolled one of the heavyweight white belts. Ex-wrestler who outweighs me by about 100 pounds, he pwned me pretty bad. I did fairly well for the first minute or so, getting and re-establishing open guard, trying for sweeps, etc.......but just couldn't quite get anything to work. Almost caught him with a double-leg takedown, but he was just able to sprawl out, forcing me to turtle under his gigantitude. He ended up catching me with an Ezekiel (sp?) choke.

Had a small conceptual breakthrough. I am now able to connect the spins that I use in stand-up to spins and rolls (like the Renzo sweep) on the ground. I have always understood intellectually that they were similar, but actually physically applying them has been a problem. But now I (physically) understand that using momentum is the same in both stand-up and groundfighting.

This does not make me an expert by any means, merely an "AH-HA!" moment that my body and mind recognized. Hopefully this will lead to less tapping out.