Last night's class was review of this material:

Class ran over somewhat, so it cut into free-rolling time a bit. I did get a chance to roll with one of the blue-belts. Worked my takedown defense better than I have been, making him take about a full minute to get me down. He normally is able to take me to the ground very quickly. I nearly caught him in a kimura, but he kept me from locking my lower body enough to finish it. I was actually able to pull off the "Renzo sweep" (what others may know as an "alligator roll") from bottom north/south position. It worked well, although I ended up getting caught in a triangle anyway.

Also rolled one of the heavyweight white belts. Ex-wrestler who outweighs me by about 100 pounds, he pwned me pretty bad. I did fairly well for the first minute or so, getting and re-establishing open guard, trying for sweeps, etc.......but just couldn't quite get anything to work. Almost caught him with a double-leg takedown, but he was just able to sprawl out, forcing me to turtle under his gigantitude. He ended up catching me with an Ezekiel (sp?) choke.

Had a small conceptual breakthrough. I am now able to connect the spins that I use in stand-up to spins and rolls (like the Renzo sweep) on the ground. I have always understood intellectually that they were similar, but actually physically applying them has been a problem. But now I (physically) understand that using momentum is the same in both stand-up and groundfighting.

This does not make me an expert by any means, merely an "AH-HA!" moment that my body and mind recognized. Hopefully this will lead to less tapping out.
"In case you ever wondered what it's like to be knocked out, it's like waking up from a nightmare only to discover it wasn't a dream." -Forrest Griffin