Last night's class started with the bridging escape. This is the fundamental escape used when the opponent is mounted. One side of the opponent's body must be trapped off - securing an arm and hooking over his ankle on the same side with your foot. Trapping the ankle keeps the opponent from posting his foot when you roll. Once trapped, you raise ("bridge") your hips up to throw the opponent's weight forward. This help to keep him from posting out with his free hand to the side that you roll towards. With his weight forward, now roll to the side you have trapped off, and end in his guard.

This sets up the single leg guard pass. Start with good posture (back straight, hands in front of the plane of your face), using one hand at the belt line to control the opponent's hips. Slide your knee (same side as the hand you have controlling his hips) against his tailbone, and post your other foot out beside or behind you. Your foot should not be any further forward than 3:00 as you are facing 12:00, otherwise the opponent will be able to grab it. Leaving your one hand in his hip, take the other and place it on the inside part of his thigh, near his knee. Turn your upper body back away to face the leg you are pushing against, and "sit back" against the other one. This allows you to push against the leg like a bench press - very strong. His guard should break. At this point, you can either slide your arm underneath his leg, getting it up on your shoulder to do a tight "stacking" pass to side control, or push his leg down to the floor and slide your knee over his leg to pass between his legs.

We then worked a circuit drill. Starting with top guy in the bottom guy's guard, top guy breaks it open to pass to side control. Top guy then goes to mount, where the bottom guy traps his arm and ankle to set up the bridging escape, rolling over into the (now) bottom guy's guard. Rinse and repeat several rounds with increasing resistance.

Rolled 3 sessions with one of the blue belts, who tapped me out 3 times. Almost blacked me out completely with a collar choke. Good thing I tapped in time! Wasn't too happy with my performance, although I got a nice double leg takedown on him, and passed his guard once or twice. Meh.