Last night we worked on headlock escapes from the ground.

The first one we went over was the headlock escape to the back. The main idea is to not let the opponent get his arm around your head in the first place, and to get on your side (facing him) ASAP. Once you are on your side, We were shown to use a "hair combing" arm movement, sweeping your hand along your head, as if you were brushing your hair back. With your arm blocking the opponent from getting the headlock on you, you hook your top leg over the opponent's hip, and attempt to take his back or go for S-mount.

Next up was the headlock escape to knees. This assumes that the opponent was able to get around your head, but not trap your near elbow or get his knee under it. This also atarts by immediatey going to your side, facing the opponent. Start walking your legs away from the opponent (towards your back), getting your knees underneath you. You should now be in position to push forward, and knock the opponent onto his side, taking S-mount or whatever. This will buy you some time to keep the opponent from getting a shoulder lock or armbar on you right away. Get to your side turning towards the opponent, and walk your legs in towards the opponent's body.

Finally was the rolling headlock escape. This assumes that the opponent was able to trap your near elbow with his arm (or get a knee under it), and get around your head with the other arm. Instead of trying to pull your arm out, you thrust it through to his back, and grab your wrist with the other hand. Now getting your hip under the opponent's body, bridge up and try to get his weight on the arm that is under your head. Now, "tip" him forward over his head (making him do a shoulder roll, basically), and take mount or whatever. Be ready to post your arms out before he lands, so he doesn't end up trapping your arms (which were around his body), or counter-rolling you.

We also worked some standing variations.

Did a 10 minute match with of the blue belts, who basically used me like a practice dummy. I got triangled from one side, then the next. Then gi-choked from one side, then the next. AGH! Towards the last 2 minutes or so, I finally was able to offer some decent resistance, and even came this close to getting an armbar on him, although he was able to reverse me as I sat back to lock it in. I also free-rolled a light match with the instructor. I played very offensively against him, constantly threatening chokes, armbars and triangles. I was able to briefly gain side control and worked an armbar, which he was able to escape. I ended up taking his back at one point, but was unable to get a choke because he was protecting his neck. I ended up tapping out when I got my own arm stuck under me, crushing my own ribs when he started crushing me down. DOH!

He did compliment me for some good technique in that match. And I got a double promotion, from 1-stripe to 3-stripe white belt. Pretty cool! Felt nice, especially considering how bad I did at the tournament.

TOMIFT