Last night's class started with the standing guard pass. Grab the opponent's belt with both hands as you stand up. After getting to your feet, release one of your hands, and place it on one of the opponent's knees. Rise up slightly on your heels, and drop your weight back down, pushing on the opponent's knee at the same time. This should force his legs open. Keep pressure on his legs as you drop down, and finish passing his guard.

Next up was the double knee standing pass. This starts with you standing in the opponent's open guard. You are securing either the opponent's ankles or his pant legs, while mantaining pressure, to keep him from getting hooks in on you. Now you want to turn the opponent by pulling one knee to one side, and pushing the other one the other direction (spinning him so that his legs are no longer pointing at you). Maintain the grip on his far knee, while releasing the one on the near knee. Slide past his legs, securing a grip on his elbow with your free hand, and take knee-ride.

This sets up the far armbar from knee ride. A typical response from the opponent under knee-ride is to try to push your knee off, to take the pressure off his body. As he pushes, you underhook that arm with the hand that was holding his knee. You can release the grip on his other elbow, and use it to help secure the underhooked arm. Pull him towards you, so that he is on his side facing you, with the arm trapped. Now take the foot that is nearest to his head, and swing it around his head and towards his back. That foot should now end up under the shoulder of the underhooked arm, with your other foot across his neck. You should end up facing the opposite direction. Sit back for the standard armbar submission.

Class ended with the usual rounds of active drills and free-rolling. I was very pleased with my performance this class. My guard escapes were much improved from last time. My open guard work needs work, as I got passed several times myself, but it's getting better. This instructor gave me some good points on how to keep the opponent from controlling my legs in open guard.

Did OK in free-rolling. I am getting better at resisting takedowns, and standing up out of someone else's guard. I then rolled with a blue belt, and got an armbar from north/south. First time I have ever tapped a blue belt, so I was pretty stoked.

I had just seen that technique in my copy of the "Encyclopedia of Brazilian Jujitsu" by Rigan Machado, which is also where I have picked up some good guard passes.

In his defense, he just finished rolling a 10 minute match with one of the powerhouse whitebelts in my school, who probably outweighed him by 30 pounds or so. He (blue belt) then tapped me out with a head/arm triangle, so victory was short-lived.

Fun class, and nice to be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel.