Last night we started with the "butterfly sweep", somewhat similar to the 'elevator sweep'. The sweep starts from an open guard/shin-across-body position. Controlling both of the opponent's wrists, thread the knee of the leg that is not across the opponent's body under and through the opponent's arm on that side (ex: controlling his right arm with your left hand, thread your left knee into the crook of his arm). Pull tight on his arm, while pushing your knee out at the same time. This keeps him from freeing that arm. Reach around and grab his pant leg/ankle with the other hand (ex: your right hand grabs his left pant leg/ankle), and pull yourself around so your head is perpendicular to his body. Now pull his weight forward onto your shin, getting his hips off the ground. Once you have him in the air, sit up and forward, dumping him on the ground with you ending in knee-ride.

This sets up the next technique, the "near armbar from knee-ride". Starting from knee-ride (having trapped and pulling on the opponent's near elbow and far knee), you pivot on the knee, bringing your foot around and under the opponent's neck (instep facing his neck). Release the grip on his knee, and swing your posted leg over the opponent's head, as you secure his arm with both hands. Standard armbar at this point, with all the normal points:

* feet tucked in tightly against the opponent's body
* knees pinched tightly together
* no gap between your body and the opponent's body
* opponent's hand turned thumb-up/pinky-down

The last thing we worked on was what the instructor calls the "Renzo sweep". Not sure how well I can describe this one.

It aslo starts from an open/shin-across-body guard position. This one assumes that the opponent will try to push your leg (knee) across his body, in order to pass to side control. You are controlling both wrists. As he pushes on your knee, you let him push it out from under his body, while "stuffing" the arm he is pushing with (same direction he is pushing) across his body, trapping it underneath him. Your other arm goes across his shoulders, grabbing his lats or belt, as you roll to your back (in the direction of the arm that is trapped across your body ie; roll to your left if his left arm is trapped), and "straighten out" yourself out so that you are now in-line with his body. The hard part of the roll is bringing your head forward and underneath the opponent's chest, so that you end up face up. Continue the roll, ending up on top, in north/south.

He showed us another move utilizing a similar roll, used against an opponent trying to "stack" you in an attempted armbar from guard. Instead of trying to resist that "stack", by keeping your head away from his body, you roll your head forward and underneath the opponent's chest, to get the armbar from there. This roll is a bit advanced for me, and I have a hard time using it yet.

Class ended with several rounds of guard escape partner drills, and free-rolling. I did poorly in the drills, not being able to escape guard once. I did get a few good sweeps and attempts from the bottom position.

Free-rolled against the instructor, and one of the blue-belts. Got submitted every time, including a rare RNC/body lock by the blue belt. Dang, that figure 4 body lock is very uncomfortable, and almost made me tap from that alone. Very difficult to escape.