Did a rare Friday class yesterday.

We started off working the knee-ride escape. This starts with the opponent on top in knee-ride. You are trying to turn on your side, facing him. As you do this, you want to take your floor-side arm and grab the leg that the opponent is posting on the floor. Very important to control that leg from going over top of your head. Your other arm grabs his belt/hip/abs area. Pushing into the opponent with both arms, roll to your belly, and immediately draw your legs up underneath you.

This sets up the next technique, which is the single leg takedown. Shoot in towards the opponent, and grab behind one of the opponent's knees with both of your hands. Make sure to keep your head between the opponent's legs, or as close as possible. Leaving your head on the "outside" of the opponent's body will leave you vulnerable to a guillotine attack. Also be sure to draw your legs up as close as possible to the opponent's body. This will give you maximum leverage to resist his sprawl, and give you more power for your takedown. Take your hand that is in between the opponent's knees, and grab his ankle. Now pull the ankle towards you, while pushing your head (opposite direction from the ankle pull) sideways into his body ("ear to the mat"), taking the him over.

The last technique we did was the cross-lapel choke from knee-ride. Starting with you on top in knee-ride (holding the opponent's near elbow and far knee), you pull him in towards you. Release the grip on his elbow, and grab his far lapel (ex: your left hand to his left lapel) with a thumb-in, fingers-out grip. Your palm should be facing the opponent. Your other hand goes underneath the first arm, and gets a fingers-in, thumb-out grip on his lapel, reaching as far back around his neck as you can get. The grip should already be getting tight for the opponent at this point. Now, drop you knee off his body and sprawl, pushing weight onto your forearms. Turn towards the opponent's head if you need more leverage, and he should tap quickly.

I also had my first time as an assistant instructor last night. I reviewed the material here:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...page=0&vc=1

With another white belt, and taught them to a new student. A little unnerving, as I do not consider myself instructor-worthy in BJJ. Luckily, my instructor watched closely to make sure I was teaching everything the right way. He offered some good detail points, but was mostly quiet. So I will take that to mean I did a fair job with it.

Did a tournament style free-rolling match with that other white belt, and lost on points, 8-6. Despite being dominant most of the match. My endurance is very poor, and I started to get winded in the last minute or so. This allowed him to do a nice sweep to mount on me, which I reversed quickly, but ended up in his guard (thus no points for me).

Good, frightening class.