Last night we worked sweeps from guard and a choke.

The first sweep we worked was the "scissors sweep". This sweep usually starts from having the opponent in your guard, and he starts a standard single leg pass. As soon as he posts a leg back to begin the pass, you grab his elbow(opposite side from his leg, ex: posts with his right leg, you grab his left elbow with your right arm). Very important to control the elbow here to keep the opponent from posting out when you go for the sweep.

Your other hand can grab his lapel, or behind his neck, etc. Your leg (same side as the one he is posting on) goes on top of his thigh, as you twist yourself to the side of the elbow you have grabbed. Now take your leg off his thigh, and push it across so your shin is on his stomach. Maintaining your grips, use your shin to push off, straighten your body out (so that you are not curled in towards him). Now start to pull the opponent forward and onto you. It is essential for the sweep to work that you take the weight off the opponent's legs. Once you have his weight far enough forward, your bottom leg now "scissors" across the floor, taking his legs out. At the same time, you "kick" into his stomach with your shin, and the opponent should go over with you ending in mount.

The instructor also showed us a variation which is very similar. From the same shin-on-stomach position, instead of "scissoring" the opponent's legs with your bottom leg, you put your foot on his knee and simply push his leg straight back. Very powerful, and I think I prefer this one.

We then did the "hooking sweep". This also starts with the opponent in your guard. As he attempts to reach under your leg to start the single-leg pass, you circle your foot under the thigh of the leg he is posting on, and hook your foot under his knee. This makes it very difficult for the opponent to complete the pass, since he now has to lift your leg AND his. Again, grab his elbow (opposite from the leg you have hooked) and lapel/neck, and pull him forward till his weight come off his legs. Start rolling towards the side where you have his elbow trapped, and "kick" the opponent's leg over your opposite shoulder as you roll. End in mount.

Last thing we worked was the "cross lapel" choke from guard. This starts by reaching across to grab the opponent's lapel (ex: your right hand to the opponent's right lapel), grabbing underhand with your palm facing you. The hand should get as "deep" ie; as far up towards the back of his neck, as possible.

To keep him from blocking the other hand with his chin, it helps if you can push your forearm under and into his chin, to keep it up. Your other hand slides under the first arm, and grips the collar the opposite side in the same manner (high up as possible). Using your closed guard, pull the opponent forward, and then shoot your hand even higher up behind his neck, trying to get the backs of your hand to touch together. At this point, the choke should already be pretty tight. Now pull your hands down to your chest as if doing a cable "row", and expand your chest out at the same time. Be sure to twist your palms facing in towards you, to get the forearm bones tight against the opponent's neck. Very powerful choke.

Class ended with normal active drills and free-rolling. I tried some new guard passes from the "Encyclopedia of Brazilian Jujitsu" by Rigan Machado. They worked fairly well, and I will be studying those more closely in the future.

Good class, although I did get tapped out by someone crushing me in a grapevine, with no other submission. Very embarassing.