Last class we worked the hip escape. This a commonly used escape when the opponent has you in side control. The opponent is typically trying to crush you down flat on your back, while controlling you arms and your near (to him) hip, so you can't roll towards him. The escape calls for creating space by bridging up, getting an underhook on his far arm with your far arm (ex: opponent is in side control to your right. underhook his left arm with your left arm, if you haven't already), and then "shrimping" out away from his body.

At this point, you have two general options. One is to slide your lower leg across and through to the opponent's hip and pull guard. Ex: As in the above example, you have shrimped out from opponent in side control to your right, so you are on your right side. Your right leg pulls through to end up with the shin across his body, blocking him from mounting you. Pop your foot out across his hip to gain guard.

The other option from shrimping out would be to go to your belly, and "turtle up", drawing your legs up underneath you, and pressing forward into the opponent to set up a takedown.

We then worked the double leg pass. This starts while you are inside the opponent's guard. The idea is to make sure both of your arms are outside of the opponent's legs. Wrap your arms low around his hips or the top of his thighs. Pull the opponent up onto your thighs, so that his hips are off the ground. At this point, you start to push your head to one side of the opponent's legs. Begin to push him over to one side, keeping your weight on him the whole time with shoulders and hips, and get side control or mount.

We then worked a guard work drill - using the hip escape to side mount, in a circuit fashion. The opponent would then do his hip escape to side mount. We did it from both sides several times each, increasing the resistance each time.

Class ended with some free-rolling. I worked with one of the blue belts, who tapped me out each round. Despite my valiant efforts.

Overall good class, fairly pleased with how things went.