Mount attack class last night.

First thing we worked on was the Figure 4 from mount. This is the standard Americana shoulder lock, with the opponent's hand up by his head. It starts by pushing down (both hands, usually) on the opponent's arm to get it to the floor. If you are going for his left arm, you drop your left elbow down past the left side of his head, keeping very tight to him. Maintaining the grip on his wrist with your left hand, slide your right under his elbow and through, to re-grab your left wrist figure-4 style. Now start to tighten the lock by dragging his arm in and down (in the direction that his elbow is pointing). When all the "slack" is taken out of his shoulder, start to use your right elbow to lift up under his. Make sure you keep his wrist on the ground as you lift. He should submit quickly.

Next was the Armbar from side mount. This actually started from mount, and assumed we were going for figure-4 above. The opponent may try to defend the figure-4 by grabbing his own wrist, and turning to his side (towards his wrist). As he turns, you immediately go to side-mount (knee behind his head, other foot posted tightly in front of his body). Take your "bottom" arm (nearest his hip), and thread it through the crook of his "top" arm (opposite from the one originally attacked in the figure-4). Your other arm should now be posting tightly in front of his face, trapping his head between your knee and your arm. Place your weight on the arm in front of his face, and the foot in front of his body. Start to swing your back leg around his head, and in front of his face. Do not sit up off his body - sit on him the whole time. Grab his arm with both hands, and lean back for the armbar.

Last was Ratcheting. This again starts from the mount, and the attempt for a figure-4 as above. Only this time, the opponent resists, and you cannot get his arm down to the floor at all. You simply push his arm the opposite way (across his chest), and drop your chest behind his elbow to pin the arm. Keeping weight on his arm, you feed your hand (ex: opponent's left arm is pinned, you feed your right arm) under his neck and grab the wrist of the pinned arm, pulling it under his neck as much as possible. Now you start to "ratchet" him over onto his side by pushing his elbow while pulling his wrist further underneath his neck. Go to S-mount (keeping weight on his wrist) and feed your free hand through the crook of his arm, and set up choke or armbar. You can also keep "ratcheting" him all the way over onto his stomach. Shove his hands down under his stomach to clear his arm away from defending choke attempts. Very uncomfortable!

Class ended with the usual rounds of limited sparring (escaping/maintaining mount). Did pretty well in those, although I am not really good about holding the mount.

Free rolled a pretty good match against one of the blue belts. Did a friggin AWESOME double leg takedown on him, followed by a flawless transition to scarf-hold to north-south. Felt like Brock Lesnar against Frank Mir for those first few seconds.

He then tried to reverse position on me, and suceeeded, but I caught him in a sloppy guillotine before he could get me all the way down. I had it pretty tight, but he trapped my legs so I couldn't get enough leverage to make him tap. After a brief struggle, he ended up breaking free, passing into side control and tapping me out. But I think I had him sweating a bit there! He did tap me out at lest one more time after that.

I rolled with the instructor, too. That was much worse. I almost avoided his takedown, but he ended up getting some weird north/south thing that I am not familiar with, and tapped me with a lapel choke.

Overall, fairly pleased with this class. And to think that I almost didn't go because I was in a really bad mood.