Today's class worked on escaping side control, kimura from side control, and the double leg takedown.

The escape was the "side control escape to the knees". This involves "bumping" the opponent up, and underhooking across to the opponent's opposite arm, (ie; your right arm underhooks his right arm). Next, shifting your legs away from the opponent, who is blocking your hip (so you can't roll into them). As you shift your legs away, you roll to your stomach, and try to grab behind the opponent's legs while drawing your knees up to your elbows. This position sets up the double-leg takedown.

With the opponent's legs trapped, you put your head to the outside of his body, extend your (same side) leg to the side, and push sideways into the opponent. "Pushing your ear to the mat" will usually get the opponent over, especially if the attempt to put weight on you - the slight turn into them will dump them right into the spot where you were. From there, you can try to gain side control or mount.

The kimura from side-control starts by isolating the opponent's far arm, pushing it down so that your "bottom" arm (closest to his hip) traps his wrist on the ground, palm down, near his hip. Your other arm goes over his head, then under and through his armpit, grabbing your own wrist.

The submission works by dragging the arm towards the direction of his elbow (in this case, towards his head). With the arm trapped, you sit out facing his head, bringing your top (rear?) leg through, so that the inside of your knee presses down on his head. This prevents him from sitting up out of the lock. Now, keeping his wrist pinned to the ground, raise his elbow while pulling the arm to his head.

We then did some sparring drills. 2 minute rounds with your partner, one person starts in side control, with the goal of submitting the bottom guy. Bottom guy has to get to his knees or pull guard.

I did horrible at the drills today. I was simply not "on" whatsoever, getting winded and forgetting pretty much everything under resistance. Very frustating.

Managed to get through the drills, but strained my neck painfully about 4 minutes into the first round. Also dealing with an (unrelated weight lifting) injury to my left wrist.

Frustrated, gassed, and sore, I called it quits there and went home. One of the classes I would rather forget about, but that's sometimes how practice goes. Hopefully my neck and wrist are better before the next class on Tuesday.

Woof.