I am to begin taking Krav Maga classes next week, and I am curious about something I've seen across MA forums around the net. I have seen many bash Krav Maga for non-realistic training (which seems odd considering KM is the only defense system I've come across here in the States that encourages full contact sparring once one is familiar with basic striking / counter techniques). This may be arguable. One thing I have heard just as consistently is that Krav Maga would be completely useless in MMA because the techniques are not designed for use against someone with combative skills. I believe this disregards the military h2h origins of KM as a system. Remember that soldiers are training to fight other soldiers who presumably also have close combat techniques under their belt. Furthermore the self-defense aspects of KM do not play any part in MMA, that is obvious. But why is there the assumption that the strikes,locks/holds, throws, and grappling that is borrowed from other arts and taught in KM cannot be used effectively in MMA?

I try not to hold Biblically to any one series of techniques, I find it hard to improve myself in that way. What works for me is the core ideas of JKD / Muay Thai: Be aggresive, but fluid. Never block / stop-hit without an effective counter or escape. Use attacks in each range appropriately. Attack opponent's lead. Protect your centerline. Control opponent's centerline. Exploit openings.. etc. This seems to mesh well with what I have read, seen, and heard about KM.

To summarize, is it just that many people commenting on the effectiveness or lack thereof of KM -- in the ring or on the street -- do not have actual experience in the style? Why is KM considered so terrible for MMA applications even though the techniques for strikes, takedowns, grappling, etc. all come from MA styles which are indeed prevalent in MMA training (knees & elbows from MT, grappling from BJJ, punching from JKD, etc)??

Sorry that was so long. But it's something I'm really interested in discussing.

Cheers,
D