C'mon guys... Ed's not a twat, but he's a "perfect storm" as a skeptic. He makes some good arguments and some bad arguments, as do we all...

Having had some recent experience with "western medicine" treating my wife's cancer, I can assure you all that they don't have definitive answers to anything. They only have "billing"... and whatever agreements they've made with the insurance companies about how long to prolong your dying process before letting you kick off.

They spent a quarter of a million dollars on her first round of chemotherapy, and they had a "medicine for everything"... at some cost. They had a chemical that would kill off the white blood cells, and one that would cause them to regenerate "naturally". They had one that would treat her compromised immune system, which they destroyed doing the chemo. Hell, they probably had one to change her hair color when it came back from falling out because of the radiation and chemo. They just didn't have a "cure" for anything.

What did they recommend? "Alternate therapies"... such as acupuncture... reiki... therapeutic massage... anything for a dollar... as long as they had somebody in their "network" as a provider.

Hell, even the Hospice was willing to try putting her on "alternate therapies"... like trying to start her on an exercise program knowing she had only weeks to live...

The difference between being in the "doctor's shoes" and a "cowboy's shoes" is that the cowboy knows that the bull$hit's on the outside of them...

Western medicine can't cure anything that isn't a surgical process, such as appendecitis or coronary artery disease that doesn't heal naturally. They simply control the length of time it takes you to die from it... period. It can be years... it can be months... it can be weeks. When they really "screw the pooch", it can be days.

Maybe TCM can't cure everything, but I've seen some amazing results over the years from simple techniques such as chiropractic, acupuncture, and massage... which accents the body's natural systems to take care of itself... and I've seen some good medicines from western medicine, such as penicillin and "other antibiotics" to treat specific diseases... but nothing that can actually treat a pathologic disease to a cure. Either the body can cure it or it can't...

What western medicine seems satisfied to do is to sacrifice one organ for another... such as giving you medicines that will ruin your liver to treat your cholesterol problem. Our system of "payment" is to be willing to sacrifice those things to keep doctors on pedestals and continue the myth of the miracle cures.

My daughter is a medical professional, and can tell you first hand about every medicine that's in use today... and also about "how long" the life expectancy from using it is. Being in the military, she's fully aware of the power of "other things" to help soldiers get through their injuries and diseases besides the next new medicine. Maybe TCM only gives you a little faith in yourself and in your body to cure your illnesses... and that might be all it takes.

I don't really think anybody has the answers...