Falconhuner2020 and Michael_Scialpi,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I have been out of pocket for a little over a month and am just getting back onto the site.

To answer your question about making a deal with the military to have a higher chance of getting into special forces...I don't think that will make a difference. If we can get legitimate accreditation, the degree would be able to be used for commissioning purposes, but martial arts experience (in itself) wouldn't really help with either an SF "Q" course or indoc, or any pre-training. Of course, the physical fitness component, self-discipline and confidence would be helpful, but the military would be more interested in training their soldiers, airmen, marines, and sailors in their own way, not recognizing previous rankings or degrees. Although my personal martial arts background was certainly helpful, I had to become fully qualified in the military version of hand-to-hand combat/defensive tactics before teaching it. The last thing I wanted to do was be like the one guy in my class who offered up the information that he was a black belt in some martial art...I don't think I've ever seen another person get knocked down so quickly! :-)

Mr. Scialpi: Thank you for your kind words. The only one of the seven regional accrediting agencies I would be able to work with is the one that covers Texas (The Southern Association of Schools and Colleges at http://www.sacs.org). My most recent discussion with them, to be honest, was not very favorable. I am hoping that, if we pursue this program (and I have gotten a lot of really good feedback...we probably will) when we have met the minimum requirements, they will be more willing to work with us. The other option is working with a national (as opposed to regional) accrediting agency which is still recognized by the US Depratment of Education and the Council for Higher Education. As long as we are accredited by an agency recognized by either, or both, of these entities, the degree would still be considered valid for employment purposes such as commissioning requirements for the US military. I am not sure why the link didn't work for you. I just checked the one in the first message of this thread and was able to get to it. Please PM me if you are still unable.

As a side note to anyone else who may be reading, as I stated above I have received a lot of favorable (and of course some not favorable) feedback on the program idea. I believe there is enough interest in the program to proceed, and am currently working on engaging the interest of qualified (meaning legitimately credentialed) persons to serve as faculty members should we get this off the ground. These people would be qualified both academically (from regionally-accredited institutions) as well as in their respective martial arts. Please feel free to have interested people contact me.

As always, I look forward to feedback and opinions.

Respectfully, Jason