Hi, first, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jason McLendon, and I have been practicing martial arts for about 27 years. I grew up as a military dependent living all over the world and had the opportunity to train in several arts in several locations. I train because I love it and I consider myself to be a beginner.

This is my first post here. I have been a silent lurker for a little while, but I am working on a project that I feel it is important to share. By the way, this will be a non-profit project, so I am not trying to make money off this. Please understand that I am also posting this on a couple of other forums I have read frequently (so you may see it more than once), but I am doing this in order to get as much feedback as possible. Also, I think it is important to know that I have no problem posting the project information here, however, the website is 6 pages long and I think it is simply too much information to post here.

I am attempting to generate thoughtful discussion about the possibility of a true academic martial arts degree program, with both a distance education and residential platform. I am not talking about some fly-by-night fake accredited school, but rather a real program similar in nature to other academic programs and focusing on martial arts. The programs of instruction will include a variety of subjects including history of martial arts, survey of martial arts practiced today, philosophy, and business management, to name a few. A complete list of the proposed courses is listed on the website. The program will be available for US and international students.

Please feel free to visit the website and read more about it. I welcome the insight and opinions of other martial arts professionals and students alike, as well as non-practitioners. However, I would ask that you keep opinions and suggestions professional, and also that you actually read the website material presented before judging. I know there are many people that are strongly against this type of program, and I believe it is important to discuss negative and positive aspects of what I am proposing. I am planning on initially funding this myself, and I certainly donít want to waste my money or time (or anyone elseís) on a project that wonít hold any actual interest.

The website has tabs across the top of the page and a discussion area/vote area under the title of the page. Because I am attempting to publicize this in several places, I will try to read and answer posts in reply to this one, however, I canít guarantee that I will respond immediately. If you happen to provide information in our site discussion area, please link back to this forum to provide further insight to discussions, questions, answers, or other important related information.

The website is http://www.amaconline.net , and I am calling it the American Martial Arts College.

I look forward to hearing from you, both pro and con. Thank you for your time.

Respectfully, Jason McLendon

Edited by JM2007 (04/30/07 01:31 AM)