Quote:

Itami

Quick question--if the contract states that if one "move more than X miles, have an injury etc"

Then why would you need to "help" them?"

If they have a legitimate reason to break the contract and they have the proof, the collection agency we use will usually have them jump through all the legal hoops to make sure it is legit (after all, they're wanting their money too). We make sure to keep close contact with those handling our student contracts, so if we know someone is moving we'll call our representative and let her know everything clears up. When we do that, they typically handle it a lot faster and will ask for less paperwork.

Quote:

What happens if someone gets injured and rather than have their contract "frozen" they just have no interest in training with the person/s that hurt them--or at the school that allowed them to be hurt??
Just a question--I've been in schools where they allowed some pretty hardcore sparring and failed to watch that newbies didn't get hurt.
And I have seen schools where nearly every senior member of the school had knee injuries thu their approach to training.

It is a contact activity so we do have injuries, but we try to handle it properly so people don't leave disgruntled. We're a business, but we care - if anyone of the people I teach get hurt (at the dojo or doing another activity) I constantly call them and write them to see how they're doing. We've only had maybe 2 or 3 cases of people intentionally hurting someone, each case it was a midlife crisis adult male trying to prove something - and each case we kicked them out, paid the collection agency the dues out our pockets, and watched over our student til they could return.
Quote:

How would you handle a student that refused to do "X" bcause they have concerns for their health?

We've had people who were quite obese, legally blind (very sweet girl), in their 60's (funny old fart), and have had a slew of other medical problems. We do our best to change up an activity if they're unable to do it, or if doing the drill can hurt them. Feeling a burn while working out is great, getting a burning feeling from injury ain't so good.
Quote:

My problem/s with 3td parties are many--but from a business standpoint it places what are effectively PR/Marketing functions in the hands of a "3td Party" that cares exactly NOTHING for the success of ones business---they are in busines to COLLECT the money they already paid the 1st party for--not to see that collections are handedled with consideration and care.

I don't usually handle it, but we actually get a list of our people who don't pay and we try to handle it ourselves. It's only when we don't have any luck or they blow us off (hearing "Oh yeah, I'll come in tomorrow and give you the papers you need!" for several weeks in a row, all the while they're still taking class) that we let the collection agency handle it. I am not sure if this is our special policy we have setup, or if this is how our collection agency prefers to do it, but it's the way it gets done at my school. It's a real eye opener to hear of these other examples.

And as for delinquency, it'll happen no matter what. The only people we never fear delinquent payments from are those that paid in full up front

Sorry if this is getting off topic of the original post (and that I typed so much!), but it's an interesting topic to discuss. That's what I -LOVE- about this place, I'm finding out information and situations that seem common out there that I've had no experience with or knowledge about. I believe whole heartedly in practice what you preach. I find it sad that so many schools that teach about ethics allow unethical business practices (whether directly or through a collection agency working for them).

I really hope some of your suggestions on the first page were attempted, cxt!