The "laundry list" intros that are used at "open" tournaments is done because the judges usually don't have a clue about what kata is being done or whether it's being done correctly or not. They MIGHT have one judge that knows kata (on a good day) and everybody else is guessing... and when they announce the winner, they have an intro to use ... Winner is Joe Krotty, doing the Short people's form of the Dwarf Ninja Style....

...then the audience can say... "Oh, is that what he was doing???"

I did a weapons form at a tournament a few years ago "formal presentation"... not ONE of the judges had a clue what that was, and none of them knew the kata or whether or not I was doing it correctly.

Like the "Field of Dreams" scenario... "I was from Iowa and they had once heard of Iowa"...

About 2/3 of the kata judges don't know the kata they're judging, so they don't have a clue whether the movements are correct, the kiai is in the right place, or the target areas struck are correct... but, what the hell, if they twirl their stick with blinding speed, scream several times, and jump around looking mean it "looks" like a kata... kinda-sorta...