It's just so hard for me to respect what someone writes if they are obviously without a clue. First off this is the Texas State Troopers, not some small town police force. Secondly, you do need some full contact sparring, but not in a round-robin, one opponent after the other manner.

The truth is that most of you guys has ever been in the military, government or part of a large state police force, so how do you know what's relevant for h2h combat in that type of job description? Is it because you train MMA or some other combat SPORT like boxing and now think that gives you the right to take this death so lightly because you think your harsh training is an end-all-be-all method?

Take your your own mentation and life for granted; cops need their brains and health to keep working. Anyway, what about premorbidity? Do you even know what that means? How do you know if someone doesn't have an existing head injury or problem, like an aneurysm?

I love how nonmedically trained people on this forum like to speak out their arses. I also wonder how JKogas can belittle and even curse at posters with little-to-no repercussions. It's unfair and I now doubt him more than most because of his approach and narrow thought processes. Just my opinion.

If you are training to fight by kicking your own butt on a continuous basis then you're not smart, PERIOD. If you are a sadist or masochist or a combo of both don't let your neuroses speak for what you want to be true. It's pathetic and weak.

As a cop or soldier in the modern world you need to understand some basic principles of unarmed conflict. You don't need BB level training and you definitely shouldn't be required to bludgeon your brain for some hypothetical B.S. that has a 98% likelihood of never happening. Punching bad guys in the face or head is a recipe for litigation. Restraining them and teaching arts that allow you to restrain and submit without incurring or delivering strikes to the head is a plus.

I boxed and I'll tell you it is not enough. It is for the ring and NOT the street. Your hands never get use to making a full and proper bare-fist due to the wraps. Your hands wind up taking a lot of punishment due to the saftey you feel from wearing pillows on your hands. That's not to say that as a boxer you won't know how to strike with your fists, it's just that without gloves it is a COMPLETELY different approach and feel.

Boxing is not a MA and it has no place in police training IMHO. Some of its concepts do, but most of what you learn in the gym or ring means diddly when it comes to training for police or trooper work.

Plus you people sound like calloused a-holes, putting training philosophies over real lives. The dude died and he probably would have NEVER had to punch someone or receive a punch to the head in his REAL job. Again, it shows how narrow your scopes and experiences in the concrete world are.