Quote:

Midnightcrawler,

Now that is a great post, thanks!

“I personally would ALWAYS be (and have been successful being) a witness for the prosecution when this type of altercation has ensued.”

Bit shocked about that, even if the pre-emptive strike was totally justified?

Sorry Mate, Personal space does exist in legal terminology

Public Order Act 1986

5 Harassment, alarm or distress

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

That coupled with the afore mentioned definition of assault and numerous case law clearly indicates it could be an offence.

You are so right about other cultures, LOL us standoffish English being greeted by Greek, Spanish , Italian friends, seen it so many times. As you say, misunderstanding VERY often occur.

Not sure why you think I would “whack” a friend from the med or middle east, just for greeting me…. I have worked in a multicultural environment for decades, not happened yet.
I actually taught a group in October that was 50% Portuguese………We didn’t mention Football once….

I would imagine that you have limited experience in the real world of violence ( and a every good thing that is!!)

As you indicate, I do so wish that I never have a person with your views on a jury…

Regards

Mark

Mark.

I wasn't suggesting that you would 'whack' your continental friends. Merely pointing out that a person unfamiliar with their culture could easily mistake their behaviour as being aggressive and threatening when in fact it is not. It is merely a cultural 'difference', but that difference could cause a person unfamiliar with it and of a pre-emptive disposition to 'shoot first and ask questions later'.