Thanks For starting this Matt.

It really shows the theorists from the realists.

McSensei, you just started door work, yes? I really admire your pure intent “Would I use it myself? No, almost never.” I do so wish it was a simple as that principle.

Don’t ever WANT to have to pre-empt, but sometimes it just is the only way. After you have had a few of those violent encounters you seem to so crave, I wonder if you will change your opinion, or indeed with your stated principle, if you are still able to work as a door supervisor

Brain, great point “If someone gets in your range aggresively they have provoked the attack.”

English Law:-
• Common Assault, contrary to section 39 Criminal Justice Act
i. An offence of common assault is committed when a person either assaults another person or commits a battery.
ii. An assault is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force
iii. A battery is committed when a person intentionally and recklessly applies unlawful force to another

'Reasonable Force'
A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances for the purposes of:
• self-defence; or
• defence of another; or
• defence of property; or
• prevention of crime; or
• lawful arrest.

“ I felt in fear of my safety, and had to strike my aggressor 1st as I believed I was about to be attacked”

Mark