JoeSan wrote:

"Actual application of the techniques as they are sequenced and done in Kata is by all means not street effective."

I donít know what kata you are referring to, or what you consider street-effective. I have seen this argument before. One well known Okinawan master uses an alphabet analogy. Each movement represents a letter, and to make words, you need to take letters from different parts of the kata and patch them together to make words.

I am certainly not an authority on a whole bunch of kata, and for kata that I do not study, this may be the case. But there are a whole bunch of Shorin Ryu kata for which this is wrong. Multiple directions work remarably well in sequence. ab or abc. bc or bcd, cd or cde on so on.

I discuss some combinations below based directly on consecutive movements in kata. It is my belief that there are plenty fighters training in fight-oriented systems (Boxing Muay Thai, PMA.) that would consider the following combinations useful in the street.

1. Left parry of a right jab, right hook/elbow to the head, left jab to the head/neck. (repeat)

2. Right parry, of a left jab, left hook/elbow to the head, right jab to the head/neck, left hook/elbow to the head, right hook/elbow to the head.

3. Right parry of a left jab, jam the right hand at the chin, right jab to the head/neck, left hook to the head, right hook to the head

4. Right parry of left jab, left cross, pull the hand back to deflect the right strike to the head, kick to the groin, or knee to the body.

From a second beginner kata.

Parry with the left, hook/elbow with the right, hook/elbow with the left, follow, if needed with a single or two legged takedown.

From a third beginner kata.

Parry with the right, left cross to the head/neck, right hook to the head, left cross to the stomach, followed, if needed with a single or double legged takedown.

These combinations come directly from the movements of three beginner kata, and each follows the kata pattern movement by movement. There is no cutting and pasting. No bit from here, bit from there. You just pick up the kata at a certain place and follow it along.

Practice those combinations in kata, in the air, on a bag, with weights and against a partner, and you have some real fighting ammunition. And that's just a start. These beginner kata are filled with good fighting applications like these.

-Kakushite