Since you replied to me, I'll answer the question....

I don't do karate... I did some a long time ago with Patrick McCarthy - and some Shorinji Kempo - enough to grasp the general principles and similarities of what is essentially a simple (yet complex), but brutally effective system. Different flavours of karate I would put down as stylistic or philosophical differences.

So the answer to your question is... NO. You're not going to see any effective bunkai from me, any time soon....

I'm only posing the question here for discussion. Maybe someone will have an epiphany, maybe not. In any case, the general principles are similar in every other art - lines, angles, foot/body/hand positioning, using the weight to augment locks and throws, stepping to enter, using both hands to apply technique, hidden sweeps and throws in turns and pivots, hidden kicks, leverage, breaking balance, etc. etc. etc.

It's all in the basics.... hidden in plain sight as it were.... hopefully this thread might spur others to look deeper (beneath the surface) at their own practice, and apply some of the principles discussed in their own interpretation of kata.