Quote:

floating - anytime when you are using another force to counteract for stabilty - in aikido for instance, they use sophisticated methods of centrifigal force in 3-dimensions. similar thing, but less complex in what we do. but then you listen to wristtwister, and his karate likely has more utilization of this...depends what your art's influences are. I will say this, whatever art people do - drawing principles from other arts will likely awaken hidden principles that you didn't see before in your primary art of choice. ...plus it's more fun. screw tradition. lol Arts aren't meant to be stagnent...when they are, it becomes ritual.

Great post! My emphasis added. All martial arts are based around the same principles - if not similar. Any differences are largely stylistic variations or differences in philosophy.

I just wanted to add that there are many subtleties in throwing arts that you aren't likely to experience in ritualized training methods - even within throwing arts that use some form of paired kata-based training methods.

I'm not so sure that centrifugal force is really all that involved in what we do... I might have thought that at one stage, but I see more and more of what we (I?) do, as simple linear forces, perhaps using rotational torque to augment linear forces.

Whilst I've found karate techniques "simple", but brutally effective, (whilst training with Patrick McCarthy) many of the techniques are very similar, if not virtually identical to what I've experienced in jujitsu and aikido.

Quite often, something will present itself from time to time, and I "see" karate techniques appear in many aikido techniques.

Quote:

stepping back, blocking and striking then resetting, is one-dimensional and completely misses the point of kata.

Perhaps a necessary evil when first learning, but it is important to look beyond. Omote vs Ura.

BTW, Mark, great visual descriptions. The second sequence is EXACTLY how it's done in jujitsu - perhaps also from a front double handed choke (why anyone would dumb enough to do that... who knows). And the spear hand can also be a press to the sternal notch. The first sequence I've seen many other variations based on similar movements.

My point being, many arts share common techniques and/or technical applications. So why should kata be any different?